Melanie's Reviews > Mooncakes

Mooncakes by Suzanne  Walker

bookshelves: arc, book-expo-2019, witches, paranormal, shifters, graphic-novels, lgbtqiap, fantasy, ghosts, read-in-2019

ARC acquired at Book Expo in exchange for an honest review.

“The next full moon snuck up on me…”

Oh friends, this was truly the graphic novel I’ve been waiting forever for. From witchy magic, to unconditional family and found family love, to being the person you want to be on your own time, to the cutest F/NB relationship ever, I am so in love with Mooncakes!

One night, in a sleepy and paranormal New England town, a witch follows a white wolf into the woods. She doesn’t know what to expect, but it most certainly isn’t a horse demon fighting with her childhood crush! With the help of one another (and some cute grandmas) they unfold a story about a cult and people wanting to harness werewolf magic for their own.

And the two main characters of this graphic novel are everything! One, being Nova, who is Chinese-American, and still coping with the loss of her parents, while living with her two grandmothers (be still, my heart). All of these women are witches and collect rare spell books! And Tam, who is also Chinese-American, and a nonbinary werewolf who grew up with Nova, but recently left their family who wasn’t very kind to them.

And if I haven’t already sold you with the plot and the five star rating, this is also just a story about two young adults learning who they want to be, both separately and together. Nova and Tam are both dealing with hurt from their parents, and even though it is a different kind of hurt, they are there for one another, and unconditionally support one another. It’s beautiful, and powerful, and I had the biggest smile on my face while reading from the first to last page.

Overall, this really was the queer, magical story that I’ve always wanted. I loved the rep, I loved the story, I loved the illustrations, I love the banter, and I truly love both of these main characters so very much. I can’t wait to see what Wendy and Suzanne do next! Also, I’m totally buying mooncakes on the way home tomorrow, because your girl has such a craving.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Content and Trigger Warnings: talk of abusive parental figures, captivity, and loss of loved ones in the past.

I read this for SummerAThon! ❤

[BONUS:] I got to meet both creators at Book Expo and they were so kind! Even though I was probably a little awkward and called Wendy birb royalty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mooncakes.

June 7, 2019 – Shelved
June 22, 2019 – Started Reading
June 22, 2019 – Finished Reading
June 25, 2019 – Shelved as: ghosts
June 28, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Webre I need to know how you can read so quickly? You must be a speed reader. You review a book a day it seems. I can only read a book or two a month if I am lucky.

message 2: by Tib (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tib Valerie wrote: "I need to know how you can read so quickly? You must be a speed reader. You review a book a day it seems. I can only read a book or two a month if I am lucky."

To be fair, Mooncakes is a graphic novel which has far less words than a full, no pictures novel. They're pretty quick reads and I know I feel way more accomplished reading a few of these in a weekend than slogging through maybe one book in a few weeks.

message 3: by Eliza!! (new)

Eliza!! wow good job! :)

message 4: by Eliza!! (new)

Eliza!! heeey do you play roblox?

message 5: by Eliza!! (new)

Eliza!! i do

madandelion [hiatus 160420] This looks so promising! And wow, I love that picture.<3✨

Lucy Langford Glad you enjoyed this Melanie ! Can’t wait for the review 😄

Lance Now, I really, really regret not grabbing an ARC of this at Bookcon. Very glad to see that you loved it though!

message 9: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Oh, wow! This looks so adorable! Thanks for introducing me to it, immediately added to my wish list! \o/

message 10: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Woods My god, that looks adorable! I neeeeeeeeedddd it!

Melanie Valerie wrote: "I need to know how you can read so quickly? You must be a speed reader. You review a book a day it seems. I can only read a book or two a month if I am lucky."

I wish I read a book a day! Hahaha! But you are valid, regardless of how many books you read, sweetheart! And this is totally a graphic novel that will take you 30 mins - 1 hour to read! 💖xx

Melanie madandelion wrote: "This looks so promising! And wow, I love that picture.<3✨"

It was so good, love! I hope you love it, too! 💖xx

Melanie Lucy wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this Melanie ! Can’t wait for the review 😄"

Awh, thank you, love! I hope you enjoy! 💖xx

Melanie Lance wrote: "Now, I really, really regret not grabbing an ARC of this at Bookcon. Very glad to see that you loved it though!"

YOU WERE AT BOOKCON AND DIDN'T COME FIND ME AND HUG ME? Wow, I am UPSET! You are lucky I love you! And I think you'll really like this one! 💖xx

Melanie Shannon wrote: "Oh, wow! This looks so adorable! Thanks for introducing me to it, immediately added to my wish list! \o/"

Awh, my heart! Happy reading, sweetheart! 💖xx

Melanie Amy wrote: "My god, that looks adorable! I neeeeeeeeedddd it!"

You do, sweetheart! But I hope you're currently having happy reading! 💖xx

message 17: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy Woods I am having happy reading, V.E. Schwab and Casey McQuiston atm, can’t complain!

message 18: by USOM (new) - rated it 5 stars

USOM YAY we both love this!

Melanie Amy wrote: "I am having happy reading, V.E. Schwab and Casey McQuiston atm, can’t complain!"

The blessings! 💖xx

Melanie USOM wrote: "YAY we both love this!"

Twins always, bb! 💖xx

Sue (BeautyBookCorner) Just finished this. The story and art is just so precious!