Violet Daniels's Reviews > Machines Like Me

Machines Like Me by Ian McEwan

liked it

I really wanted to enjoy this, but the problems I had with it outweighed the elements I liked. The exploration of humanity and the human condition through Adam, the robot, was interesting and an element I enjoyed. However I think certain parts with this went too far and rendered this exploration too far fetched and unbelievable. (Without trying to include spoilers...) The alternative history element I thought was pointless and didn't add much to the central purpose of the novel (can machines be more human) either than it honing in on the dystopian element. At times I thought it was just laughable and unrealistic. Charlie and Miranda were likeable characters enough but the threesome element with Adam was just a bit trivial. Writing excellent as always but execution faltered for me here.

You can read my full review here: https://violetdaniels997.com/2020/04/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Machines Like Me.

June 7, 2019 – Shelved
June 7, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 3, 2020 – Started Reading
April 4, 2020 –
page 62
April 6, 2020 –
page 204
April 9, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Hanneke Violet, yes, I totally agree with your review!

Violet Daniels It's so frustrating as I really wanted to like it more, I'm usually such an Ian McEwan fan but I thought he dealt with the themes rather trivially

message 3: by Hanneke (last edited Apr 09, 2020 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hanneke Yes, I know what you mean, Violet. I am a great fan of Ian McEwan too. The idea for this novel was very promising. Such a pity it did not work. It is seldom that I don't like a novel of his. I did not care for 'Sweet Tooth' very much. Do you like his older novels too, like 'The Comfort of Strangers'? Really creepy but really good!

Violet Daniels Yes, the ideas were all good but as you said, it just didn't work and I think the execution was poor. I haven't read his older novels - only Atonement, Saturday, Enduring Love and Chesil Beach (I loved all of these), I keep meaning to read Nutshell but I would like to read some of his older novels too.

Hanneke Nutshell is great, I thought. Very strange story, funny too. My absolute favorite is Atonement, but I loved the ones you mentioned too. His older novels tend to be so much more scary, indeed like The Comfort of Strangers or The Innocent. I loved them and I would be curious what you think!

Violet Daniels I will let you know if I end up reading them :)

Hanneke Please do, Violet. There is a terrific movie made of The Comfort of Strangers, if you are interested. Makes you think twice before going to Venice on a holiday!