Siddharth's Reviews > Stranger in a Strange Land

Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

bookshelves: 2019-wishlist, psychology, sci-fi

The premise of this book is really good. And the first part of the book is very well executed. In most places in the first half, all I really wanted to read about was what Mike was thinking and what he was feeling about the world as he was looking as a third person and so on. But the author just throws all this super-normal discussion of law and money in your face, and in any other novel, it would be a great narrative, but in this book it builds the tension A LOT!

Eventually, we do get a complete Mike perspective on everything that is happening around him. How he's able to do the things he does, what he thinks about the way humans behave, and so on. So, that part is very good. There's the epic fight in the middle and then the second half of the book begins.

Now, this is where the book starts getting weird. Mike was at a cusp, and it demanded action and he made the right choice. But that also meant that he went from being a cute little half-Human half-Martian-minded nestling to a Martian adult in human form - a super-hero basically, but a cynical one at that. His way of thinking about the world is completely different, and it's not at all surprising that the more we look at the world he creates for himself, the weirder and weirder it gets. It flaunts every single principle that humans regard as important and polite and sane.

The book has an ending which is somewhat predictable (what will happen-wise). I was guessing it would go that way around 75% and you will be unable to not think it. There are just some dialogues and things he says in there that force you to think that.

I look forward to re-reading some of the parts in which Mike discusses his findings about the human race. Everything around it was good once, but I wouldn't re-read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stranger in a Strange Land.

June 7, 2019 – Shelved