MelissaB's Reviews > Lord of Scoundrels

Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase

1320046
Jul 28, 2008

bookshelves: favorite-historical-romance, favorite-romances, historical-romance, regency-romance, audio-book-i-own, 2015-reads
Recommended for: historical romance fans
Read in January, 2015

Wow! This book was very good. For once I loved the heroine! Plus the hero had some very dark parts of his personality that needed to be worked through.

The book starts out explaining how the Marquess of Dain became the cynical rake he is today. His father was very cruel to him and his mother ran away leaving him all alone. He is half Italian, so he has a big nose and a very awkward body as a child for which he is tormented mercilessly while at Eton, where his dad sent him when he was eight. He learns to ignore his hurt feelings and strike out at others when he feels vulnerable. He learns how to make money very well and spends his time drinking, gambling and hiring prostitutes because he doesn't think a normal woman would be with him for anything other than his money and title.

Jessica Trent and her grandmother travel to Paris to rescue her not-so-bright younger brother Bertie from the bad influence of Dain. Bertie sees Dain as a hero and tried to emulate all of his bad habits, to the point of financial ruin of his family. Jessica knows she has to put a stop to this, so she goes to confront Dain. Once she meets Dain, to her horror she falls in lust with him. He is very rude to her as he does not spend time with ladies (other than prostitutes) after one tried to trap him into marriage years ago. Jessica and Dain set off sparks between each other in a set of high profile encounters. They get caught in a compromising position at a ball but instead of protecting her honor, Dain just walks away because he thinks she is trying to trap him into marriage just like the other girl. His parting shot to her was "If you don't like it, then just shoot me."

Well, Jessica does not take the destruction of her reputation and chance of a future lightly. She goes to the gambling hall where he is spending the remainder of his night - and shoots him (only in the arm though and she is an expert shot)! Then she sues him for the fact that he has ruined her chances of marriage and a decent business (she was going to open a shop). He offers to marry her instead. She agrees because she really does like him and would rather be a rich wife to a Marquess than exhiled to a small house in the country for the rest of her life (take notes other historical authors - it isn't resonable for a regency heroine to turn down an offer of marriage and live the rest of her life destitute simply because a man didn't say he loved you).

Jessica realizes that Dain has quite a few personal demons. He believes he is an unattractive, over-sized brute. She also realizes he has never known love in his life. She sets out to break down his barriers about love and show him that she loves the way he looks. The process is not easy and he has a lot to learn. He needs to face the child he was (he literally does this with his own illegitimate child) and overcome his feeling of inadequacy. Jessica was such a good strong heroine who knew what she was getting into but decided it was worth the effort because she loved Dain.

Parts of this book were hilarious. I love the fact that she shot him after he did her wrong and flipantly told her to shoot him if she didn't like it! Then he decided she was quite right to shoot him because he knows he acted like a jerk. Dain does think through his actions after the fact and usually realizes when he was wrong and apologizes. I enjoyed how in the story we actually see Dain's progression from a cynical, out-of-control rake to a better man, husband and father who learns how to love. He is still a rascal at the end but he was redeemed.

I am not a huge fan of regency novels, but this one was very worth it. Check it out if you haven't read it yet!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of Scoundrels.

01/07/2015 marked as: currently-reading 2 comments
01/20/2015 marked as: read

Auntee I'm with you, Melissab. I'm not a huge Regency fan either but you made this sound darn good! I've had this one on the TBR pile for awhile, and due to everybody's glowing recs (and yours)--I think it's time I put this one near the top! Great review!:)

message 2: by MelissaB (last edited Jul 28, 2008 07:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Auntee,

I am definitely not a Regency fan, which is why this sat in my TBR pile for a while. It really was well-written and the story was enjoyable. The heroine is very smart and witty for once. The hero was quite a piece of work but still fun to read about. I enjoyed the humor in the book, I laughed out loud a few times but there are some serious undertones to the story, especially regarding the hero's emotional issues with women and his appearance. Hope you enjoy the book too!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I loved your review Melissa. You said it so well. This book is so funny and poignant. My favorite book of all time.

Julie (jjmachshev) This whole series earned their spot on my 'keeper shelf'!

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Jan 14, 2009 10:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Me too. Well I still need to read The Lion's Daughter. Chase is an autobuy for me. She is my hero for writing this book.

MelissaB Thanks D!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Thanks for writing so well about my favorite book. :)

MelissaB I will only write my reviews a day or two after I am done with the book so I can capture exactly what I am feeling at the end. Since I read so much, I quickly forget how I felt about certain books except for the vague feelings of liking it a little, a lot or not at all.

I still haven't read anything else by Loretta Chase, I really need to get to that soon. I want to read the ones set in Egypt.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (last edited Jan 14, 2009 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Yes, I loved Lord Impossible. It was different from Lord of Scoundrels, but good all the same. Another roguish hero in that. I know what you mean. It's hard to write reviews for books you read a while ago, but I am trying to write what I think about books as I put them on my shelves. The results can be interesting.

Kathrynn Recently read this one, too. My copy has the other cover on it, though. Such a neat book...(sigh).

message 11: by Eastofoz (last edited Jan 14, 2009 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eastofoz This was THE BEST love/hate book I've ever read for wit and banter between the h/h. A forever keeper for me. And luckily I have the other three in the series still to read :D

Tammy Best romance novel ever and still voted #1 on most sites!

East, have you read The Last Hellion yet? I picked up a copy a couple of weeks ago, but haven't started it.

Eastofoz Nope Tammy, I think I'm going to ditch the idiocy I'm reading and start that one.

Tammy The idiocy being Pirate Moon? I had high hopes for that one!

Eastofoz Ya I might just skim to the end of Pirate Moon --or I might just file it under DNF if it gets any worse.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I have this copy and I'm thinking about buying the new copy. Don't ask why. My copy is in really good condition. I just feel the urge to own two copies of my favorite book of all time.

MelissaB Dua wrote: "hie do u happen to have a pdf for d book, i'd be grateful if u cud mail it to me at dua3003@gmail.com
ps i so wanna read ds book
thanx :)"

Sorry! You can buy it easily in ebook form