Samantha's Reviews > A Nighttime of Forever

A Nighttime of Forever by Matthew S. Cox

liked it

A good introduction to a series with strong entertainment potential. I enjoyed the world Cox created here, with his individual tweak on vampire legends and mythology. The categories of different sorts of vampires and the levels of knowledge and misinformation out there among the populace makes for interesting reading.

It's hard to tell you much about the plot of this one without spoiling the book, so I'll just say that the story centers around and eighteen year old woman who becomes a vampire and makes some very unusual (for vampire stories) choices about how to live the next part of her life.

I can't rate this one higher because I had trouble connecting with the main character. Sarah Wright was supposed to be innocent, but most of the time she seemed shallow to me, worried about the wrong things and strangely accepting of other things I would have expected her to be upset about. This might be because I'm older than the intended audience, or just my preference for a little more depth out of my heroines. The only part of her emotional story line that grabbed me was her relationship with her siblings and parents. That was a truly innovative take!

In spite of my lack of engagement with Sarah, though, I kept reading because the plot and world had me curious where the story was going. I was surprised by the turns a couple of times, and I like it when a book can surprise me. Since this is a first in a series, I hope for a little deepening of the character in future books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Nighttime of Forever.

June 6, 2019 – Started Reading