Lyra's Reviews > Unspoken Vow

Unspoken Vow by Eden Finley

liked it
bookshelves: disability, kindle-unlimited, lgbtqia, m-m, romance, contemporary

This book...bothered me. It's possible that if the issues hadn't poked at me the way they had, I would have been able to enjoy it, but I kept getting bothered.

First off, Anders's therapists were horrible therapists. As human beings, they are certainly going to have their own personal opinions about him and what he does and what he should do. It's going to be really hard to get around that to any degree. But ultimately, Anders gets to make his own decisions and he shouldn't be making those decisions based on whether or not his therapists are going to like it, and he shouldn't feel like he needs to lie about what he's doing. If his therapists are "accusing" him of being attracted to someone (?!), "disapproving" of his decisions," and being "pervy" about his sexuality (?!?!?!?!), that's going to impact his ability to get reasonable therapy. It's going to encourage him to screen what he tells them (or straight-up lie) and it's going to encourage him to not make his own decisions but to do what he thinks this therapist wants (unhealthy dynamic hello!).

I also wasn't sure how I felt about Anders getting over so many of his issues because of, well, magic sex/love. On the one hand, working through your issues does often require taking action, so that might be reasonable, but...there's this mentality in our society that "loves cures all" that I'm really not excited about. Finding someone you're excited about and falling in love isn't a panacea, often it makes things more complicated, and honestly, relying on them to fix you is way too much pressure and putting them in a role that isn't reasonable.

I did, however, adore Lucky/Meatball. Books should have more cats in them. Yay cats!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unspoken Vow.

June 6, 2019 – Shelved
June 6, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
June 6, 2019 – Shelved as: disability
July 14, 2019 – Started Reading
July 15, 2019 –
45.0% "I cannot imagine that this method of dealing with trauma would go well in real life."
July 15, 2019 –
52.0% "If I had a therapist like the therapists in this book, I would leave them. Accusing? Disapproving? Pervy? WTF?"
July 15, 2019 – Finished Reading