Gary's Reviews > One Good Deed

One Good Deed by David Baldacci

Read 2 times. Last read June 5, 2019 to June 8, 2019.

I really enjoyed this stand alone by author David Baldacci an d it made me realise I really must read more of his work soon. Nicely written and the 640 pages flew by as I enjoyed the twists and turns in this entertaining read. Great characters, especially the lead one Aloysius Archer who I would love to read in other books if the author decided.
It's 1949 and war veteran Aloysius Archer is released from Carderock Prison, he is sent to Poca City on parole with a short list of rules to follow to keep him on the straight and narrow. Events move fast for Archer and the town quickly proves more complicated and dangerous than he would like. On his very first day of freedom he is offered what appears to be a straight forward job of collecting a debt owed to a powerful local businessman, Hank Pittleman. It is not long before Archer discovers that the job is not so easy and that the indebted man has a furious grudge against Hank and refuses to pay. Archer has a natural charm and the ladies are quick to notice him. Very soon Archer is attracting the attention of Hank's mistress Jackie Tuttle and Archer's parole officer, Miss Ernestine Crabtree.

A murder takes place and ex prisoner Archer finds himself under police suspicion and he realises that this could easily take him back to prison. With his freedom at risk he gets together with Detective Shaw to solve the crime that threatens to send him back into prison.
The book is reasonably slow paced but this did not affect my enjoyment at all, as the characters come to life in this exquisitely written novel.
I would like to thank both Net Galley and Macmillan for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Deed.

Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
June 5, 2019 – Started Reading
June 5, 2019 – Shelved
June 8, 2019 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
June 8, 2019 – Finished Reading