Meggan's Reviews > The Wind Singer

The Wind Singer by William Nicholson

Feb 26, 2012

it was ok
Read from February 29 to March 01, 2012

I feel terrible giving a book two stars, but "it's okay" was truly how I felt. I didn't dislike it, and it was an entertaining, fast read, but everything happened so quickly that I felt like some of the plot points were over before I really understood what was going on. This book needed less telling and more showing! Give me details! There were a fair amount of minor characters introduced that disappeared so quickly I questioned why they were even mentioned.

I also felt like some of the main elements of the story weren't fleshed out very well, like the existence of the map, the briefly alluded-to giants, what the wind singer really was and what it meant, and the existence of the mud people. There are so many elements to this story - I feel like it could/should have been broken up into two or three parts and fleshed out much more thoroughly and I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

I have to admit that the elderly children were super creepy - the author did a good job of describing them in a way that gave me the heebie-jeebies.

All in all, this was not a bad book by any means, and I would give it 3 stars if 3 meant something more like "it's okay; I probably wouldn't recommend it to people but I don't regret reading it." The premise was great, but it needed much more detail to make me really feel good about recommending it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind Singer.