Melanie Dulaney's Reviews > Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School

Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School by Julie Falatko

bookshelves: children-s, humorous, middle-grades, texas-bluebonnet-award-nominee

This nominee for the 2019-2020 Texas Bluebonnet Award had me laughing out loud and will likely have many of my 4th and 5th graders moving into “guffaw” territory. Sassy and Waldo take their dog-jobs very seriously, but that is the only thing that gets that adverb! These two are determined to keep the house squirrel free and to get to the bottom of Stewart’s problem with that dreaded place called School. Author Julie Falatko has them dressing up in an old trench coat and waltzing into Bea Arthur Elementary as a new, albeit furry, student who just happens to have recently gained the art of speech and just happens to land in their young human’s class. Along with crazy squirrels, big projects, productive trips to the cafeteria and an interesting connection with Bax the Bully, Falatko liberally sprinkles figurative language and great vocabulary amid rich context. Readers will easily discern the meanings of words like vigilant, feisty and nonchalant while teachers will have ample material for reinforcing the use of sensory language, similes and onomatopoeia (imminent intruders and flourishing fluff, being only two examples of the later). I will be reading from the end of page 12 through page 16 as a promo for this excellent launch into a new series that already has a book 2 available and number 3 right on the horizon, but I may have to practice it several times to avoid snorting with laughter as I try to engage my students. Highly recommended with no warnings on content for read aloud or independently in grades 2-5, especially if those students are fans of Vernon’s Hamster Princess and Dragon Breath books or Cronin’s Chicken Squad series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go to School.

June 5, 2019 – Started Reading