Julie's Reviews > Waiting for Tom Hanks

Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey

bookshelves: 2019, contemporary-romance, e-book, cloud-library, romcom, cute

Waiting for Tom Hanks by Kerry Winfrey is a 2019 Berkley publication.

An adorable ode to classic Rom-Coms!

I am pleased to see this book was so well received! Rom-Coms were considered circumspect back in their prime, but after a while they became the 'Barry Manilow' of movies, eliciting all manner of hand waving and eye rolls from the super intelligent, who are too smart to indulge in something so sentimental and sweet, playing the tired old 'unrealistic' card. Blah, Blah, Blah! I don't care! I loved those movies!!

I’m so happy to see people are looking back on those wonderful ‘feel good’ movies with fond nostalgia these days and are maybe beginning to relax and realize that a little light gentle fun won’t hurt you- in fact it’s good for the soul!!

That said, I must, with great chagrin, admit that at times this book was a bit too silly, even for me. The author did do an amazing job of recreating the 1990s Rom-Com format and atmosphere, which also means it was occasionally corny.

The characters are zany, quirky, and downright weird at times, but they are also funny and sweet. The story is predictable, of course, but that's part of its charm.

We find comfort and escape with these stories. They lift our spirits, restore hope, and leave us enveloped in a warm fuzzy glow, but most importantly, they make us smile.

This book pays tributes to all the great classics- not just ‘Sleepless in Seattle’ or ‘You’ve Got Mail’. I was happy to see the author mention, “While You Were Sleeping’ (Bill Pullman!!!!!) which is my all -time favorite, although ‘When Harry Met Sally’ is a pretty close second- but of course- even stuffy snobs love Tom Hanks!

Overall, this story is super light and easy, very fun and…. It made me smile!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Waiting for Tom Hanks.

June 4, 2019 – Shelved
July 25, 2019 – Shelved as: cloud-library
July 25, 2019 – Shelved as: romcom
July 25, 2019 – Shelved as: cute
August 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Julie! This book made me smile too!

Julie Norma * Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! This book made me smile too!"

Thank you, Norma!! I was really cute!! ! 💖

Kaceey Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one too!🤗💜

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed this one too!🤗💜"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 💖

message 5: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this was a charming, fun read for you, dear Julie ;) Loved reading your review!! 💜💚❤️

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad this was a charming, fun read for you, dear Julie ;) Loved reading your review!! 💜💚❤️"

Thank you, KAS!! You might like this one!!💖🤗💖

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Loved your review Julie! :D

message 8: by Jaline (new)

Jaline Terrific review, Julie! :)

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna great review, Julie!!

message 10: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Julie! ♥️🌺

message 11: by Nen & Jen (new)

Nen & Jen Im glad you enjoyed this book! I've heard some really mixed reviews about it and wasn't too sure if I would enjoy it. Since I'm a fan of rom-coms it'll definitely stay on my tbr list and hopefully be a win for me as well. Great review! <3

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Great review, Julie! <3 x

message 13: by Angela M (new)

Angela M “The Barry Manilow of movies” - omg love that phrase . Terrific review , Julie!

Julie Sandra wrote: "Loved your review Julie! :D"

Thank you, dear Sandra!! 💖

Julie Jaline wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! :)"

Thank you, Jaline!! 💖

Julie Deanna wrote: "great review, Julie!!"

Thank you, Deanna! 💖

Julie Angela M wrote: "“The Barry Manilow of movies” - omg love that phrase . Terrific review , Julie!"

Thank you, Angela!! 😁💖

Julie Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! ♥️🌺"

Thank you, Nicola!! 💖

Julie Nen & Jen wrote: "Im glad you enjoyed this book! I've heard some really mixed reviews about it and wasn't too sure if I would enjoy it. Since I'm a fan of rom-coms it'll definitely stay on my tbr list and hopefully ..."

Thank you, Nen & Jen!! I think all books these days come with mixed reviews, sadly. My top friends seemed to like this one, so I added it. I'm glad I did! It is very silly, a bit overboard at times, but so are Rom- Coms, so it was all in good fun. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! Happy reading!! 💖

Julie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Great review, Julie! <3 x"

Thank you, Alex!! 💖

Meredith The Barry Manilow of movies!! Lol!😂best line ever! Thank you for making me laugh, Julie! Fabulous review!

Julie Meredith wrote: "The Barry Manilow of movies!! Lol!😂best line ever! Thank you for making me laugh, Julie! Fabulous review!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😁😁

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy Sometimes you just need a good rom-com! LOL Great review!

Julie Amy wrote: "Sometimes you just need a good rom-com! LOL Great review!"
Thank you, Amy!! LOL! My sweet husband watches them with me when I'm in the mood. His favorite is Notting Hill. So many good ones!! 💖

Brenda - Host of Traveling Sisters & Friends Fantastic review, Julie! I am so glad you enjoyed this one!

Julie Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! I am so glad you enjoyed this one!"

Thank you, Brenda!! 💖

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I thought this was really cute, too! Lovely review, Julie!

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "I thought this was really cute, too! Lovely review, Julie!"

Thank you, Jennifer! The perfect cure for the summertime blues! 💖

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fantastic review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed it!! 💙

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie! So glad you enjoyed it!! 💙"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 💖

message 31: by Liina (new) - added it

Liina Great review, Julie! 😊

message 32: by Libby (new)

Libby Great review Julie! I wholeheartedly agree, a light romance is often good for the soul.

Julie Liina wrote: "Great review, Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Liina!! 😊😊

Julie Libby wrote: "Great review Julie! I wholeheartedly agree, a light romance is often good for the soul."

Thank you, dear Libby!! 😊😊

message 35: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Charming - sweet - nostalgia- wonderful review!!! 🌈📚💕🦋

Julie Elyse wrote: "Charming - sweet - nostalgia- wonderful review!!! 🌈📚💕🦋"

Thank you, dear Elyse!! 💖

message 37: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn O'Brien I had similar opinions. I loved the last 20 pages, they were laugh out loud funny. Ambient whale noises!

Julie Jenn wrote: "I had similar opinions. I loved the last 20 pages, they were laugh out loud funny. Ambient whale noises!"

I'm glad you enjoyed this one, too, Jenn!! Too cute!! 💖

message 39: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Excellent review!!💖👍💗😉

Julie Kat wrote: "Excellent review!!💖👍💗😉"

Thank you, Kat!! This book was a lot of cheesy fun!! 💖

message 41: by *TUDOR^QUEEN* (new)

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Great review! 😍🔰 Glad it made you smile! 😁👍

Julie *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Great review! 😍🔰 Glad it made you smile! 😁👍"

Thank you, TQ!! It was too cute! 💖

message 43: by JanB (new)

JanB Julie, I'm loving the rom-com renaissance and seeing a new generation appreciate the 90's rom-coms. And who doesn't love Tom Hanks? Super fun review! 💖

Julie JanB wrote: "Julie, I'm loving the rom-com renaissance and seeing a new generation appreciate the 90's rom-coms. And who doesn't love Tom Hanks? Super fun review! 💖"

Thank you so much Jan!! I love all the new Rom-Com books coming out too! Fun!! 😊💖😊

Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill Great review! Sounds cute! It is on my list!

Julie Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill wrote: "Great review! Sounds cute! It is on my list!"

Thank you, Kim!! It is cute... And cheesy- but still adorable!! 😊😊