Sue's Reviews > Dementia Reimagined: Building a Life of Joy and Dignity from Beginning to End

Dementia Reimagined by Tia Powell

1620128

Ordering this after Powell’s interview on NPR’s “Fresh Air,” I expected a more easy-reading book. It’s not, but it’s worth the effort. Powell, who has noted the trend in her family and expects to have Alzheimer’s in old age, has provided a book that everyone with any interest in the subject should read. She gives us the history of dementia diagnosis and treatment, the truth about the pharmaceutical industry’s involvement, and the nitty-gritty about the financial thrashing most people experience with this and all forms of dementia. She tells us about the progression of the disease and what it’s really like, both for the patient and the caregiver, and suggests ways to keep living a good life for as long as possible. She writes at length about the most taboo topic, that this is a fatal disease and we have choices to make about how we want to go. I hope Powell never experiences dementia, but she is ready if she does. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dementia Reimagined.

June 4, 2019 – Started Reading