Sally Staples's Reviews > Among the Hidden

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix

F 50x66
Feb 26, 2012

bookshelves: chapter-book

Luke Garner is a third child in a country that has a population law that only two children per family is allowed. Therefore, Luke is a child who stays hidden in the family home. While in his attic room, he sees a third child in a home in the neighborhood next to his families farm. He decides to be brave and meet this girl, Jen. He secretely goes to her house when no one is around and finds out that in fact she is a third child hidden in her house. They become friends and Jen introduces him to the chat room on the computer where she has met other "shadow" children. She organizes a rally for the hidden children to be seen and heard. Luke thinks the rally is too risky and decides not to join her. She is fighting for her rights at the rally when she is shot and killed. In the end Luke is sad and afraid he will be caught and killed like Jen. Jen's father arranges for him to have a fake I.D., and he leaves his family. This book is the first in a series. I thought the book was a little depressing, but towards the last part of the book, it was hard to put down. I wanted to know what happened to Jen and if Luke would be caught.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Hidden.