Victoria Robinson's Reviews > Dopey Women

Dopey Women by Laura Barnard

I would like to thank Laura for sending me a copy of this to review in time for the re-release with a brand new cover.

After being made redundant Sadie and her colleagues soon find themselves needing to make some cash QUICK, and what better way to do it than by selling “Weed Brownies” to the other ladies at her friend’s chemo sessions? After all they do believe that Cannabis is meant to help.

But of course it’s not quite that simple, not only are they being investigated by “Detective McRugged”, they have also pissed off the main drug dealer in the area. All they wanted was to get back on their feet.

This novel is full of Laura’s wit and sarcasm, her characters while may come across as bitchy and anti-women, actually seem very real, it would be great to believe that everyone is perfect all the time and nobody ever has negative thoughts about someone else but let’s be honest, we are human, there are times when I am just having “one of THOSE days” and I may end up thinking “oh my god will you just shut up” because a friend or work colleague is talking about something that I have no interest in. Does this make me a bad person? I hope not, it just makes me human.

So yes there may have been a few occasions where I felt like Sadie may be coming across as a little irksome and not entirely likeable, but those are actually my favourite characters any way, they have more depth to them.

I loved the development of the friendships between Sadie and her colleagues- although it was quite amusing to see her slipping back into her “manager” personality despite them being out of work.

Of course I was drawn in by the romance, which of course was a bit of a rollercoaster ride, but I loved the banter between Sadie and Harry.

Much like the other novels by Laura this is balanced out with some very sensitive topics, again much like real life.

I was happy that the end of the novel saw our “Dopey Women” find their way to something better, and still maintaining that friendship that blossomed during their brief stint as drug dealers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dopey Women.

June 4, 2019 – Started Reading