Kitten Blue's Reviews > Stolen

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Feb 26, 2012

it was ok
Read from October 20 to 21, 2012

"You're sick," I hissed. "You were obsessed with a ten-year-old girl, then abducted her six years later? What kind of freak ... ?"

Unfortunately, the above is the bottom line. Stalking is stalking, kidnapping is kidnapping, and no amount of Poor wittle kwidnwapper!! is going to change my mind. If you prevent a sexual assault, or whatever, because you've been STALKING the victim-to-be FOR YEARS, this doesn't make what you're doing okay. Sorry. I'm obviously cruel and heartless. And what I'd like to know is whether Gemma would have reacted to Ty in the same way if he hadn't been "hot"? (And I use quotation marks because - to me - Ty just sounded like the same dirty and disgusting hobo that he used to be. Eew. And a mentally unstable one at that.)

Also, unless you're particularly enamoured with Australia and / or miserable desert life, Stolen is boring as fuck. I didn't think the entire story would be set in one crappy little shack out in the middle of nowhere; for some reason, I was expecting excitement and adventure, which I absolutely did not get. And the entire book being a letter from Gemma to Ty is just a very annoying gimmick; all of the you's just about drove me insane. You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x You. You! You ... . YOU! You x
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

10/20/2012 page 40
12.0% "She ends up loving this psycho?! Oh, boy." 3 comments
10/21/2012 page 183
57.0% "I'm still not seeing this weirdo's future appeal ..."

Ioana I thought it was great, but yeah, the letter format is an acquired taste, I suppose.
And I agree, Ty's a sick, delusional bastard, but I don't think Gemma liked him because of his hotness.

Also, I'm still trying to pronounce kwidnwapper :D.

message 2: by Kitten (last edited Oct 21, 2012 01:56PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kitten Blue Yeah, the book wasn't for me, but I read a few other reviews and I get the feeling that people either love it or hate it depending on whether or not they can empathize with Ty. He really skeeved me out, though, so when Gemma kept mentioning how sexy he was, then eventually started going all Stockholm Syndrome, I just couldn't relate. I don't think she liked him BECAUSE he was hot, but I don't think she'd have liked him if he WASN'T hot, which is understandable, lol, but maybe something to think about. Of course, if I ever were to be kidnapped, I'd like it to be by a yummy guy with no intention of harming me ... yes, please ... :) :)