Dave Wateridge's Reviews > Jacob's Ladder

Jacob's Ladder by Tim Ellis

Feb 26, 2012

it was ok
Read from March 12 to 23, 2012

This is the second Tim Ellis book I have read.

The first "A Life For A Life" suffered from numerous mistakes, character names changing and locations mentioned before being discovered being the most obvious, but on the whole you felt there was possibly a good story in there somewhere.

As one of the leading characters was rather annoying in that series of books I thought I would try a book from a different series but although the lead players are far less annoying this is far from being a good book.

For one thing TOO much detail. If the lead is having a full English breakfast fine but not sure the exact number of eggs and bacon really adds to the story.

Must also point out that, as in his previous book, it seems even the most overweight, unhygienic and least attractive male lead always seems to have gorgeous young women throwing themselves at him, if only life was like that. On the subject of women not sure it’s really a requirement to state in detail the size and shape of their breasts at every meeting. Must also be a genetic thing as the good people have perfect breasts the bad people don’t?

++ SPOILER ++

For me the worst part is that the murderer is far too obvious, as soon as the character arrives you think it’s him. I was hoping it was a red herring but no.

In summary I still think Tim Ellis has potential, he just needs a good proof reader and editor he will listen to. Until then, even with the books as cheap as they are, I don't think I will bother with another

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacob's Ladder.