Jessica Bronder's Reviews > Decanted Truths

Decanted Truths by Melanie Forde

This is the story of two Irish Families, the Harrigan’s and the Gavagan’s initially around the time of the Depression. The first part kind of centers around Leah Gavagan who is an orphan and raised by her aunt and uncle. Leah is turning 18 and her aunt wants to send her to school in New York so she has some training to make a living.

While Leah is in New York, tragedy strikes and Leah ends up leaving school and returning home. This tragedy strikes Leah’s Aunt Margaret with the loss of her son. Margaret’s health declines until she passes away and her secrets come to light. After learning about Margaret the family has to process the now uncovered secrets and go on with their lives.

This was an interesting story and I found myself wanting to know more about the family members and their histories. I really liked Leah and felt bad that she was sent to school where she clearly doesn’t want to be. But learning about tough Margaret’s secrets make me realize how the different things we chose to do can affect so much more than just our lives, it also can affect our families and friends.

This is a great read and one I recommend checking out if you like historical stories. I really liked the slight paranormal gifts that you see with the family too. It really added a little touch to make the story even more connected. It is definitely worth checking out.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I voluntarily chose to read and post an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Decanted Truths.

Finished Reading