Mónica BQ's Reviews > Keep This to Yourself

Keep This to Yourself by Tom   Ryan

bookshelves: fav-contemporary, fav-dun-dun-duuuuun, favorite-ya-na

4.5 stars rounded up

I am surprised beyond words by how much I liked this book.

This is an own voices YA mystery that reads like a mature crime book. Add in to that a diverse (ish) cast in a small town setting and it was totally my jam. I really liked how Mac's backstory is seamlessly incorporated into the main one. The fact that he is gay, young, a bit lonely and still grieving is not the main plot, which is about a serial killer. So the book ticked a lot of boxes for me.

I really enjoyed how the mystery unfolded. There's a natural progression to how Mac figures out the murders. And the writing always makes it easy to get Mac. It's easy to understand his inability to move on from the death of a close friend to a serial killer that was never caught.

The best part of the book is realising how little clues had been there all along for anyone to simply pay enough attention to them to understand what happened. And at the same time it's really cool to get to the ending of the book and comprehend everyone's behaviour once things start to unravel. Although I had some small things figured out I never inferred how they would come to play in the overall mystery. And the killer? I never saw it coming.

The only negative to the story is that it does require a bit of suspension of disbelief in regards to police work. I find it hard to believe that some of the issues weren't hashed out from the official investigation. It seems very improbable that the police wouldn't have figured out some things themselves. Some of the things done by the police in the end are completely implausible. It's just not believable that things could have unfolded like that in real life. But, I'm letting it go because I truly was delighted by the rest of the book.

Finally, that title is a trip once the meaning of it makes sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keep This to Yourself.

June 3, 2019 – Shelved
June 3, 2019 – Shelved as: 1-2
June 11, 2019 – Started Reading
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: fav-contemporary
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: fav-dun-dun-duuuuun
June 12, 2019 – Shelved as: favorite-ya-na
June 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen Wellsbury This sounds really interesting, I do like crime with extras

Mónica BQ Karen wrote: "This sounds really interesting, I do like crime with extras"

Tom Ryan is a new-to-me author and I was very pleasantly surprised by his writing :D

message 3: by Ariadna (new)

Ariadna Hmmmm, le voy a echar ganas y leerlo, Món. Lamentablemente, la fila en la biblioteca está algo larga así que lo más probable es que no empieze hasta mediados de Julio... ;)

Mónica BQ Ariadna wrote: "Hmmmm, le voy a echar ganas y leerlo, Món. Lamentablemente, la fila en la biblioteca está algo larga así que lo más probable es que no empieze hasta mediados de Julio... ;)"

Me gustó bastante Ari! <3

message 5: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Everything you said was EXACTLY my own thoughts too!

Mónica BQ Brenda wrote: "Everything you said was EXACTLY my own thoughts too!"

:D