Jenny Baker's Reviews > All of Me

All of Me by Chris Baron

bookshelves: 2019, childrens

Who Am I?
The life in my head seems
so different from the life outside,
where I am so big
that everyone stares,
but no one sees the real me.

What a poignant story! I’m worried that this book will slip through the cracks and go unnoticed. I truly hope it doesn’t. It’s a wonderful story written in verse about a seventh grade boy, Ari, who struggles with his weight and body image.

What I loved about this story is that you get a deeper understanding of Ari’s emotional issues and his feelings about his weight problem. He’s a likable boy, strong, and sensitive, and you want to pick him up every time somebody knocks him down. His character has a lot of growth and watching his transformation was so amazing and heartwarming.

The author did a fantastic job allowing the reader to walk vicariously in Ari’s shoes, so that you can get an idea of what it feels like when people mistreat you because of your weight, and see the demons people face both internally and externally.

This is an important story, one that shouldn’t be missed, especially in an era where the media tries to fit us all in a mold, and shames those that don’t fit in it. It’s a story about friendship, compassion, and empathy. It’s a lesson in understanding those around you and learning sensitivity, because we’re not made of steel, and your support could mean the world to somebody else.

Highly recommended.

CW: anti-Semitism, body shaming, and self-harm

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All of Me.

June 3, 2019 – Shelved
July 25, 2019 – Started Reading
July 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters I love this review so much Jenny!!! Thank you for bringing it to my attention!
And thanks for endorsing it so strongly. 💕

Jenny Baker Thank you Elyse! And, you're welcome. If you read it, I hope you love it. 😊