Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

bookshelves: dystopian, fiction, library, young-adult, series

3.5? 4 stars? I have so many mixed feeling about this book. All I know is that I couldn’t put it down and my maternal instincts kicked in as I watched young Todd and his dog roam this unique dystopian world.

In a male-dominated town where the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, everyone can hear men’s thoughts. As Todd’s 13th birthday approaches, the day he officially becomes a man, his guardians tell him that he must run away. With no further explanation, Todd must flee. You would think in a town like this keeping a secret would be impossible. However, it turns out Prentisstown isn’t safe for him after all. From here, Ness takes us on an action-packed adventure through a dark and dangerous dystopian world. Todd and his dog, Manchee, encounter a female for the first time in the flesh and more questions rise to the surface. What really happened to the women of Prentisstown? Why is it so important that Todd, just one boy, reaches his birthday and becomes a man? With Viola, the group take on evil enemies, discover new settlements and unveil the long-kept secrets about the New World.

The first half of the book fell flat in comparison to the second. With so many unanswered questions and a whole lot of running, I was itching to know more about both the characters and this dark world. Finally, like Todd, we discover the twisted truth about Prentisstown and watch him as he transforms from being an unlikable, quarrelsome and quick-tempered young boy to a considerate, brave young man. As the ending approaches, you wonder just what else could possibly go wrong for the characters. Ness doesn’t disappoint and, of course, hits you with a cliff-hanger that demands you to pick up the sequel immediately.

Now just leave me to wallow for a bit (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.

June 20, 2017 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Paperback Edition)
June 3, 2019 – Started Reading