Hannah's Reviews > When God was a Rabbit: The Richard and Judy Bestseller

When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

Feb 26, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2012

Overall I liked this book, however the first 50-80 odd pages I quite seriously disliked. I was expecting weird however this section was overly bizarre, and also at time brazenly shocking with some not so nice things happening. It all became more and more normalised as the book continued, so maybe the author was trying to shock the readers? Gain some notice from critics? Not sure, and it wasn't exactly bad or unsettling just not what I expected or ultimately anything like the rest of the book.

But last 2/3 of book I enjoyed a lot. The author had put a lot of work into the charecters, and as a reader I cared a lot about them. Also the ending was not at all over sentimental, which too many people are tempted into doing. But quite possibly overall there was too much going on, too many people and story lines to keep up with. The author put in a brave effort but it's not quite cohesive. Could have done with ever so slightly less 'stuff' a little more thoroughly. And I think "God" could have featured more, to tie the whole thing together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When God was a Rabbit.