Katherine Paschal's Reviews > Courting Kate

Courting Kate by Tori Kron

liked it
bookshelves: contemp-romance, angst

**3.5 Stars**
Review can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Kate has been on her boss's angry list after the disastrous charity event the year before, even though it was not Kate's fault. When her friend Stella forces a new volunteer on Kate's hands, Kate agrees to help her friend as well as possibly make brownie points with her boss. She just never realized the challenge she would face on all kinds of levels. Miller always gets caught while he is in the middle of helping someone out, but the police and the media think he is just a useless playboy basketball player. When Stella, the woman he has been trying to win back, determines he needs to work his community service at her strict friend Kate's business, he figures this is the chance to prove himself. But is he trying to prove himself to Stella- or to Kate?

I have recently realized that I am such a sucker for sports romances, be it adult or ya. There is just something thrilling about romance blooming during the already heightened emotions of sports and all the drama surrounding it. They are fun and usually more light-hearted, with great banter, making sports romances one of my new favorite reads. I loved getting to see who Miller really was under his playboy exterior and snarky grins. He was a genuine nice guy, doing secret good deeds but making sure nobody knew. Also, his willingness to admit his feelings and show affection was so sweet! He is for sure a keeper. Kate was a tougher nut to crack, so caught up in the potential evilness of men, almost unable to see a real person underneath Miller's pretty flesh.

​I did find it a little off putting that the book would occasionally switch to calling Miller "the player", even during the times that the book was narrated from his point of view, as if he was referencing himself as "the player" in third person. It was super odd and made me disconnect from the story a little. And also, I questioned what it meant by player- was it because he was a basketball player or because he was supposedly a player when it came to the ladies? Also, occasionally perspective would switch from character to character or even go to almost third person during a chapter, making it a little hard to keep up.

The epilogue had an appealing open ending that makes me really want to read the next one for the drama I can see coming for Miller's sister Reagan. Also, I would not mind getting a peak at more of Kate and Miller being happy with each other since there was not too much of that in this book- more that it hints at a possible HEA and it ends.

I reviewed a complimentary copy of this title.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Courting Kate.

June 2, 2019 – Shelved