Renee's Reviews > Evil Embers

Evil Embers by Cristelle Comby

I wish I had read the first book, because it sounds like I missed a heck of an adventure, but Book 2 is stand alone enough that I wasn't lost in this dark, gritty world. I was completely drawn in from Page 1. Bellamy Vale reminds me of Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden, although on the surface they are very different guys. Bellamy has no innate magic, but he works for Lady Death righting paranormal wrongs beyond the scope of the regular folk in Cold City.

When foreign businessman Eli Smith shows up at his doorstep with a thick wallet and a request to find his missing sister, Vale doesn’t think twice before agreeing.

I love the fact that Eli hires Bellamy and then stalks him to check on progress. I really like the characters in this fully fledged world, especially Kennedy, a reporter who helps Bellamy get the info he needs. All the characters were like real people, with hopes and fears and distinct personalities that occasionally clash. I love when well-meant help actually impedes and the characters have to adapt. The twists and turns and setbacks kept me turning pages, and the characters made me laugh and stress and care.

I loved hanging out in this urban landscape, and hope to make many more trips here!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evil Embers.

May 7, 2019 – Started Reading