Kari Davis's Reviews > Teardrop Shot

Teardrop Shot by Tijan

bookshelves: 4-stars, arc-netgalley, friends-to-lovers, funny, love-cover, favorite-author, sad, sports, standalone, sweet

Yep I just bawled a few times! Damn it Tijan I was not expecting this at all from this read. Beautifully written. Teardrop Shot is going to hit you right in the heart and stomach. Grab a few tissues and yeah this is a mix mash of words from me probably.

Charlie is in fangirl land right now. Her favorite NBA player is attending a preseason camp at Echo Island where she is working. She might go all psychotic stalker on him, but first she has to be able to speak. The thing about Charlie though is she has a tendency to spew verbal diarrhea when she is nervous or stressed. She’s adorably weird in a way that you can connect with. Her random questions/thoughts caused me a few times to laugh out loud. She will definitely grow on you. She’s also a character with quite a few layers, that has a heartbreaking story. A past that I didn’t know was coming. A past that will grip your heart and feel her pain right along with her.

Reese is the starting point guard for the Seattle Thunder. He’s loved by all or at least most, but he’s a very private person when it comes to his personal life. He’s good at what he does and basketball is his life. He’s attending a camp to get away from the limelight and dealing with family issues. He’s content on the court and just wants to lose himself in playing ball. But what he doesn’t expect is Charlie. The girl who is gorgeous, but a bit crazy and hopefully harmless. He’s intrigued by her crazy bursts of randomness.

Reese and Charlie begin a weird sort of friendship that no one sees coming. Two different people that seem to just get and understand one another. Reese begins to see past Charlie’s facade. He sees her for who she is and what she’s trying to run from. Charlie can’t deal with her baggage and has so many walls up, but Reese keeps chipping away at them until there is a bunch of rocks on the floor. He broke through and that scares her more than anything. Can Charlie move on from the past? From the guilt?

I loved this book and I had no clue where this book would go from the blurb. Tijan blew my mind with this beautiful character. Charlie is a strong character and I loved her quirks. She was endearing and I connected with her in ways I never have before. She was a breath of fresh air. Reese I can’t say enough about him either. He comes across as a jerk right at first, but he is loyal, caring and protective. He was a guy who found peace with someone who he wasn’t looking for. He saw Charlie for who she was and accepted her for that. The banter between these two was entertaining and the chemistry is hot!

My reason for not five stars is because I would have loved dual POV’s and I didn’t get right into the story because of a few characters introduced right away. But once I got past that I was off and running. I really enjoyed this. It was a different story from one of my go to authors and it will definitely be a re-read for me.

ARC received for honest review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teardrop Shot.

June 2, 2019 – Shelved