Mirna Skuhan's Reviews > The Little Gift Shop on the Loch

The Little Gift Shop on the Loch by Maggie  Conway

I have received an ARC version of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

You know when you find that book that you wont put down even though you have a whole lot of other things to do?

The Little Gift Shop is quite this book!
The eternal quest of finding that 'gold middle' in your life is a dream for many people even though they don't realize that. Through Lily's character the writer manages to depict this life question in a very sweet and counseling way not making feeling guilty any of us for any of our choices.

I liked the fact that Lily in searching her new self didn't entirely throw away her old self. She was still an accountant and she would use her skills to help her new self as well as some newfound friends.

I also very much liked the setting of this book - Scottish Highlands and beautiful descriptions of the lake and this picturesque village. This is something I adored in the book - the writer didn't need 100 pages to describe something. In a very 'clean', straight but yet appealing and wonderful way with words I could imagine myself in that part of Scotland and in that mesmerizing nature even though I have no connection whatsoever with Scotland.

It was also a very important fact for me that the writer didn't dwell in outlining the love relationship as much as portraying the relationship of 'Lily with Lily' and finding that ultimate understanding of your parent/s in that very special moment in life that all of us that lost one parent can find themselves.

But the most important thing that really made me think about all the worrying in my life was that this book manages to make you question yourself and gives you some extreme motivation if you want to change your life in any way possible. If you're not happy with your life don't be afraid of a change! Embrace it!

I can see that the writer set this book and other characters in it in a way that could develop really nicely and I would for sure like to see more stories from this sublime part of the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Gift Shop on the Loch.

June 2, 2019 – Started Reading