Andrea's Reviews > One Good Deed

One Good Deed by David Baldacci

'You might be an ex-con Archer, but you kept your heart, despite a war and then prison. And that's something. As bad as things might get, don't ever sell yourself short on that' _________Mr. D. Baldacci

Let me start by saying that I've read several David Baldacci books and loved them all, however this one for me felt different, not least because it was set in the late 1940s. Aloysius Archer has just been released from prison for a crime that he claims he didn't commit. Sent to the small, hot, dusty town of Poca to serve his probation period, he meets Hank Pittleman and Jackie Tuttle, the woman he is having an affair with, and before long becomes embroiled with their business affairs to his detriment.....

I found the first and last thirds of the book extremely gripping, but for me, I felt like the story lost it's way somewhat in the middle and was too padded out. Without giving away any spoilers, I also found some small holes in the plotline and some parts of the detail a little too convenient for my liking. It's for these reasons that I give this, otherwise well written book, four rather than five stars.

I did rather enjoy revisiting the 1940s again with some of its old-fashioned ideals and I absolutely loved the character of Archer. I do hope we get to meet him again in future books.

Many thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this ARC for which I have given my voluntary and unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Good Deed.

June 1, 2019 – Started Reading