Lacy's Reviews > Spiders: Learning to Love Them

Spiders by Lynne  Kelly

bookshelves: nature, wildlife, wildlife-center-book-club, own

A solid 3.5 stars for me. I like that the author describes something spidery that might be perceived as negative (like the description of the ogre spider) but then she calls it fantastic or cute or spins in some positive words. It was very refreshing and I really liked the little interjections of the author’s opinions (almost all on cuteness) and personality. She also had relatable stories of spider encounters she had around her house. It was fun getting to know these spiders and their dramatic little lives that took place right under the author’s nose. And, because there’s always a spider close by (hey! I just saw one on my bathroom mirror!), they are easy to observe and watch. My favorite takeaway from this book: pay more attention to what is around me. Be it spiders or other species, too. This book encourages citizen science and observations. Many of the materials and sources she recommends would be applicable to other species that might catch our eye or interests.

The writing is quite jumpy. Sometimes I’d lose track of what species we are talking about or I’d get bogged down in the anatomy or terminology. I ended up just powering through those bits and not absorbing as much as I’d like to. The author also liked to quote others, but she didn’t analyze those viewpoints or make much of an effort to build on or add to what that person was saying. Those sections felt incomplete to me.

Something that wasn’t discussed much at all, maybe because the author is writing from Australia, were spider cycles through the seasons. I do notice more Wolf Spiders around in the late summer, Garden Spiders in the early summer, little house spiders moving in during the fall, etc. It would be nice to know the reasons behind these observations rather than making guesswork of it myself. So maybe I’ll have to look for a spider book on North American/Virginian spiders - let me know if you have suggestions!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spiders.

June 1, 2019 – Shelved