Hamad's Reviews > Gideon the Ninth

Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

liked it
bookshelves: 2019-reads, arcs, from-the-publisher, paperbacks, good-covers

This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange of an honest review :D

“Two is for discipline, heedless of trial;
Three for the gleam of a jewel or a smile;
Four for fidelity, facing ahead;
Five for tradition and debts to the dead;
Six for the truth over solace in lies;
Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies;
Eight for salvation no matter the cost;
Nine for the Tomb, and for all that was lost.”

🌟 I am pretty sure this will be a huge hit when it is out. I can already see the Which House do you belong to quizzes, people getting tattoos according to their house and quotes being shared too! I developed a hunch over the last 4 years of which books work and which don’t. And although this one did not work for me, it will for many readers! That’s why you may want to take this review with a grain of salt!

description

Here is some salt to do so 😛

🌟 So let me get straight to the point, what determines whether you like this book or not is the writing style. A friend who I BR this was (He’s a real expert at Fantasy) could not relate to the story and DNF it early. I did not like it either but it was not bad as to make me DNF so I pushed through and after 300 pages, I could finally get into the story! If you like the writing style from the start then I assure you that it will be a very fun ride.
Also is this supposed to be funny? I saw some attempts at that and knew I was supposed to laugh but I just… didn’t? I don’t easily laugh but I didn’t even smile. I can see some readers laughing so that should be good.

description

🌟 The characters were also hard to relate to for me, I did care about a couple of characters and at the end I did care about the MC somehow! There are 9 houses and hence the name of the series and in each house there are at least 2 characters. That means a lot of characters!! I appreciate the glossary at the beginning containing all the houses and characters in them, if it was not there then I would have DNF it from confusion. There is something that I would have done if I were the editor of this book and that is consistently using the name or family name of characters and not just throwing them randomly. I mean there are over 15 characters and when the characters suddenly decide to use the family name I was confused AF and had to keep going back and forth between the glossary and the page I am reading.

description

🌟 The plot however was good and I don’t think I have ever read a book with necromancers so it was a good and new experience, I have to admit that I was confused about some technical terms and about some scenes but after page 300, I was invested in the story and read it in a whole new spirit!

🌟Summary: Despite all the negative things I said, I really appreciate that the effort that was taken to write this book as it did show from the cover till the last page! I can say that the first 300 Pages were not the best but after that I really enjoyed it and my rating actually approached 4 stars but I could not ignore the first 300 mentioned pages and decided to go for a rating in between. I am currently interested in the second book after thinking about this for a few days so I might actually give it a chance! I also think that many readers will like it so don’t let this review discourage you. The first few chapter are available online for free as I recall, try reading them and if you liked them then you will LOVE this!

My first buddy with King Petrik of the House Leo, the First of His Name, King of Fantasy and the First Reviewers, The rightful king of the Seven Genres and Protector of the Books, Petrik of novel notions, Breaker of ARCs, Father of Dragons and regent of Goodreads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gideon the Ninth.

June 1, 2019 – Shelved
June 11, 2019 – Started Reading
June 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

message 1: by MeaganCM (new) - added it

MeaganCM Ah! I am so jealous! This is one of my most anticpated reads of the year! Hif I hope it's good 😊 you're a lucky duck

Hamad MeaganCM wrote: "Ah! I am so jealous! This is one of my most anticpated reads of the year! Hif I hope it's good 😊 you're a lucky duck"

Tor are actually the nicest to us INTL readers, they sent me a physical ARC. Maybe try contacting them because they are so supportive!

message 3: by MeaganCM (new) - added it

MeaganCM I'll have to look into it! 😊 I can't wait to see what you think!

Hamad MeaganCM wrote: "I'll have to look into it! 😊 I can't wait to see what you think!"

I am BR it this month with a friend so you don't have to wait for long!

message 5: by ✨ A ✨ (new)

✨ A ✨ Damn whoever this Petrik guy is, he sure sounds impressive with all those titles. 😂

Hamad do you praise all your friends like this?!

message 6: by ✨ A ✨ (new)

Hamad do you praise all your friends like this?!

Hamad Azrah wrote: "Damn whoever this Petrik guy is, he sure sounds impressive with all those titles. 😂

Hamad do you praise all your friends like this?!"

He is great! And your getting a title soon :P

message 8: by ✨ A ✨ (new)

✨ A ✨ I am?!? 😱♥

I just noticed that the name of this series is ninth house just like Bardugo's next book, coincidence?
(Btw I tried clicking the link to Petrik but it's not working??)

Hamad Azrah wrote: "I am?!? 😱♥

(Btw I tried clicking the link to Petrik but it's not working??)"

Yes, soon!

I noticed the same thing and I had to do my research, apparently this is is The Ninth house as in literally there are 9 houses and Gideon is from the Ninth House.

Bardugo's book may be the ninth house that is used in Astrology! The first word in the synopsis is "Galaxy" which I think is the MC name or something so it may be an astrological thing, guess we will wait and see :)

(Also fixed the link. I double checked it the first time so I don't know how it still happened, thanks!!)

message 10: by ✨ A ✨ (new)

✨ A ✨ Ooooh. Interesting. It's so weird that they're both releasing in the same year though 😂

Hamad Azrah wrote: "Ooooh. Interesting. It's so weird that they're both releasing in the same year though 😂"

Yes, there is kind of a weird thing about these things, like all the snake covers that we had this year!

Petrik Oh my god. What a glorious title! Thanks for that, Hamad! xD

Hamad Petrik wrote: "Oh my god. What a glorious title! Thanks for that, Hamad! xD"

You're welcome!
The book finally got better after 300 pages which was like a redemption for what I had to go through first!

message 14: by Xiomara (new) - added it

Xiomara Canizales I was thinking about DNFing this book before reading this review, I didn't want to because I thought I may not be in the mood for this but actually don't want to invest my time with this read.
Sad because the idea was interesting but I just couldn't get throughout it...

Hamad Xiomara wrote: "I was thinking about DNFing this book before reading this review, I didn't want to because I thought I may not be in the mood for this but actually don't want to invest my time with this read.
Sad ..."

Actually many of my fellow bloggers DNF it too! The writing is weird and is either a hot or miss! I liked the ending but if I can go back in time, I would read something else.
hope you pick up something cool next :D

Fiona Yup, the first book was interesting enough to push through to the end. Hopefully, the second book elaborates on the world abit more.

Hamad Fiona wrote: "Yup, the first book was interesting enough to push through to the end. Hopefully, the second book elaborates on the world abit more."

I think the book improved toward the second half so if it continues like that, the book would be even better!