Cecelia Hightower's Reviews > The Mind's Eye

The Mind's Eye by Oliver Sacks

Feb 25, 2012

bookshelves: betty

I just finished reading "The Mind's Eye" by Oliver Sacks. I have read one or two other books by this author who lives in New York and is a practicing physician, author of ten books, a professor of neurology and psychiatry at Columbia University Medical Center and the first Columbia University Artist (whatever that may mean).

He gives case studies of persons who have lost their sight and learn new ways to accommodate their "seeing" with other "senses" and the powerful possibilities of the human brain and mind. I must admit that I did my reading with a dictionary in hand. The vocabulary was extensively new to me, but very, very interesting. After presenting some cases and what the person went through and how they emotionally and physically learned to "see" differently and to accept their limitation, Dr. Oliver presents the chapter on his own experience with a cancerous tumor behind his right eye. This eye was his dominant eye, and he journals what is physically happening and shares his inner thoughts and the full range of his emotional reaction. This chapter was very, very interesting and flowed for me.

I have never been associated with someone who is blind, and I learned a great deal about what what effect blindness can have on one's life and how through the years the new information that is gained has improved and continues to improve. Each person's experience is different and each of them learned in different ways to accommodate their lives while being born blind, becoming blind through an accident or health issue, and learning to live an extremely rewarding life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mind's Eye.