may ➹'s Reviews > Her Royal Highness

Her Royal Highness by Rachel Hawkins

It’s all fun and gaymes until you realize you could have have rewritten approximately a third of the book, and it would have ended up 5x better, despite not even being a half-decent writer.

The issue with this book is that the pacing is completely off. I honestly would have rated it higher if the pacing hadn’t been so weird and janky, because it’s a fluffy book that you could simply have a lot of fun reading. But my slight enjoyment of the book couldn’t compete with the fact that there’s pretty much zero development of the relationship after the characters get together, and the ending was abrupt, unsatisfying, and felt unfinished, and the book jumps from one thing to another with seemingly no buildup or growth.

I think this was meant to be a very light and fluffy book purely for enjoyment, and it mostly was. Millie and Flora were definitely cute together, and it was a decently entertaining read. I was never really bored with the book, only frustrated that it was inadequately written, and I liked the characters and banter. (Though it was annoying that some side characters were so relevant at certain times, and then didn’t even seem to exist at others.) The writing was also really easy to read, which I especially appreciated since I was slumping, and there were some scenes I thought were super cute. Overall, however, I felt a very large disconnect from the story and characters and didn’t really care when something major happened, most likely because of the insufficient buildup to said events.

Truly, this book could have been written so much better, and it had so much more potential beyond what it was actually able to achieve. If you’re looking for a quick fun f/f book to read, this might be the one for you. But it’s more likely that your enjoyment will be hindered by its lack of development and poor writing overall.

:: rep :: bi MC, lesbian LI, queer side characters

:: content warnings :: loss of parent, cheating (not main couple)

// buddy read with my Asian faves !!

Thank you to Penguin for providing me a copy of this book! This did not affect my opinion in any way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Royal Highness.

May 31, 2019 – Shelved
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2019 – Started Reading
July 14, 2019 –
page 160
58.39% "I don’t know how sheltered royal princesses are in this century but I am fairly certain they don’t need to be taught how to fold a towel"
July 14, 2019 – Finished Reading
July 15, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap-main
July 15, 2019 – Shelved as: pov-1st
July 15, 2019 – Shelved as: pov-female
July 15, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ if you do re-write it, let me know so i can read it!

julianna ➹ actually rewrite it though. are you a coward are you

The Odd Books Out I agree so much when you said that "the ending was abrupt, unsatisfying, and felt unfinished." In my review, I talked about how the ending was my main problem, because it felt so rushed when it could have been really emotional.

may ➹ ♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ wrote: "if you do re-write it, let me know so i can read it!"

that requires way too much work for me but maybe by sheer pettiness I can do it 😎😎

may ➹ julianna ➹ wrote: "actually rewrite it though. are you a coward are you"

may ➹ The Odd Books Out wrote: "I agree so much when you said that "the ending was abrupt, unsatisfying, and felt unfinished." In my review, I talked about how the ending was my main problem, because it felt so rushed when it cou..."

yeah, like I have never seen a book end SO quickly after the conflict was resolved? and all the events leading up to it were poorly developed too so it didn’t feel emotional enough, like you said