Helen Power's Reviews > Your Life Is Mine

Your Life Is Mine by Nathan Ripley

liked it
bookshelves: arc, author-publisher-givewaway, mystery-thriller, netgalley, published-2019

Synopsis
Blanche Potter is more than just a documentary film-maker.  She’s the daughter of infamous mass murderer and cult-leader Chuck Varner. Blanche wants nothing more than to leave her past behind her, but when her mother is murdered, she’s forced to return home.  She must go back to the place where it all began, and she fears that her father’s followers are only getting started...

Plot
This book is slow paced at the start. Ripley provides a lot of description of the setting and Blanche is quite introspective. The plot picks up as the story progresses, maintaining an even pace until the climactic finish.

There are excerpts from a true crime book scattered throughout the narrative.  They provide much-needed backstory that fills in the gaps in Blanche’s memory and let us know what was going on that Blanche hadn’t known about.

While slow paced, there are leisurely twists and turns in the plot that kept me engaged in the story line. Despite the introspective nature of the book, it’s a quick read, and I gobbled it up in nearly one sitting.

While an engaging book, the story didn't move quickly enough for me. I would have preferred for this to have been balanced with more twisted introspection, but the characters were quite tame compared to other books about serial killers.

Characters
The most intriguing part of this book is the main character. Blanche Potter is the daughter of a murderer and cult-leader.  She always knew who and what her father was, which makes for interesting backstory.

I was particularly fascinated by her friendship with Jaya. They’re best friends, and there are intriguing parallels in their histories. Blanche’s father was a murderer. Jaya’s father was murdered.  Their friendship is unlikely and compelling, and it was beautiful to see how much Blanche relied on that relationship, how much she leaned on Jaya in times of distress (which was basically this entire novel).

Your Life is Mine book

I recommend this book to any fan of serial-killer fiction. It puts more emphasis on character and atmosphere than on convoluted plots, which will appeal to those looking for a character study of the daughter of a mass murderer.

starstarstar

*Thank you to Atria Books and NetGalley for the ARC for review*

This review appeared first on https://powerlibrarian.wordpress.com/

Instagram | Blog | Website | Twitter

My 2019 Reading Challenge

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Life Is Mine.

May 31, 2019 – Started Reading
May 31, 2019 – Shelved
June 2, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
June 2, 2019 – Shelved as: author-publisher-givewaway
June 2, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller
June 2, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
June 2, 2019 – Shelved as: published-2019
June 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by marilyn (new)

marilyn Nice review Helen! 🌻

Helen Power marilyn wrote: "Nice review Helen! 🌻"

Thank you, marilyn!