Lorinda Taylor's Reviews > Islands of the Gulf, Volume Two: The Treasure

Islands of the Gulf, Volume Two by Audrey Driscoll

This book’s genre could be described in more than one way. First of all, it is what I would call a literary paranormal work – literary because it is first and foremost a study of superbly delineated characters who could easily exist in the real world, and paranormal because many occurrences are outside the bounds of reality, giving it elements of science fiction/fantasy. But it could also be classified as gay fiction, since the plot centers around the poignant, tempestuous, and ultimately tragic love affair between Francis Dexter/Herbert West and the artist Julian Vernon.
As always with this author’s books, it is beautifully written, with descriptive passages that are a joy to read. Some of the paranormal passages are particularly memorable. I might cite Dexter’s gripping hallucination involving Richard Bellgarde’s death, the episode with the Tarot reading, and also Dexter’s contact with the shaman/medicine woman. And of course, the events at the end, in Chapter 15, which reminded me of Ursula K. LeGuin’s ”A Wizard of Earthsea,” where Ged pursues his evil self across the sea, only to merge that entity into his own being.
Driscoll has a secret talent – she knows how to structure her stories so there is always more to be told. Thus, the end of “The Treasure” takes us back to the end of “The Friendship of Mortals,” and in v.1 of “Islands of the Gulf” we know that the love affair between Francis and Julian took place, but we don’t know the details of it. And if you read the summaries of the sequels, you find out that they also fill in details that were only hinted at in the earlier books. I suspect Driscoll could keep these stories going for a long time to come, and that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned! Strongly recommended (but read the earlier volumes first).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Islands of the Gulf, Volume Two.

May 31, 2019 – Started Reading