Katherine Coble's Reviews > Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee

Furious Hours by Casey Cep

bookshelves: audio-version, library-checkout

4.25
I listened to the audiobook, and my rating may change if I were to read the book in print.

Pros:
This is the perfect true crime book for anyone who likes to collect facts and data and minutae. Which I do. The more I learn from a book the more I like it. In the first third of the book I’d have given this five stars.

Cons:
Well...that’s the problem, really. This isn’t a book. It’s three books, with three entirely different tones. The first book is the Voodoo Preacher Insurance Murders. That book is A+.
The second book is allegedly about the trial of the man who killed the voodoo preacher but is instead mostly about that man’s attorney. Wow, was that boring. I heard way more than I ever cared to about an anachronistic Southern attorney running for local offices. C+
The third book I can’t really judge fairly because it’s a biography of Harper Lee. I’ve read so many of those that the info here was a retread. I suspect if it’s new to you it’d be an A or an A- But to me it felt like an unnecessary parlor trick. I wanted the story of her reactions to the trial. That came after much else.

Yes, I do think this book is worth your time. But I wish I’d been forewarned about the structure because it felt like whiplash moving from one topic and tone of writing to another.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furious Hours.

May 31, 2019 – Started Reading