Joanna Loves Reading's Reviews > Falling for a Rake

Falling for a Rake by Eve Pendle

bookshelves: hr, arc, my-title-is-earl

4.5 Stars - a very enjoyable read

With my limited availability to read at the moment, I am almost restricted to only audiobooks, and what I do read has been taking me weeks. So, when I picked this one up and finished it in two days, it really highlighted what a fun, quick read this was for me. It flowed. The characters were flawed, human and relatable. The setting was well-drawn and the historical tidbits were interesting.

Lady Emily is an avid fern hunter and leader of a women's group the takes expeditions in trying to find ferns for their collections. Lord Markshall (Oscar) joins one of her expeditions and follows and pesters her during the expedition, which is where the story starts. It jumps into the action right away. Oscar is a well-known rake and libertine, and Emily wants nothing to do with him. When they fall into an abandoned mine, their fates are sealed when they are not rescued until the following day.

They had a connection from the start but had trouble getting to the point that they may care more for each other than a traditional society marriage. Oscar had a youthful, unforgivable indiscretion that he has been trying to make amends for years, while still keeping up the rake facade. Emily also made a devastating mistake years before and has been attempting to make-up for it by being a proper young lady with proper pursuits. Both of the ghosts in the closets are heavy, and I could understand their fears and feelings of unworthiness for redemption or to be loved. However, I enjoyed how they connected with each other on an emotional level, and their sexual chemistry was burning.

The villain of this story is a gossip columnist named Lady X, who seems to have a particular desire to see Emily and Oscar ruined. I can say I wasn't expecting the Lady X reveal, and I was not terribly interested in the plot line. I am not quite sure why, but I do think this was weakest aspect of the story. It didn't bother me, though.

One of the focuses of this story was the Contagious Diseases Act, which was coincidentally also the focus of Pendle's debut novel. However, in this story it was a different Act, which both were apparently in existence at the same time. The first novel had a focus on the act regarding livestock. The second novel focuses in on the act with the same name regarding prostitutes in port towns. Oh, the irony, and it shows in what regard lawmakers held women's lives.

Note: at the beginning of this book there is a spoiler page with warnings for readers. I imagine the shows up if you download a sample. If you are sensitive to certain things, you might check it out.

Overall, I was impressed with Pendle's second full-length novel, and I look forward to trying more by her.

*Thank you to the author who provided this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling for a Rake.

May 30, 2019 – Started Reading
May 30, 2019 – Shelved
June 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jultri (new) - added it

Jultri Great review, Joanna! I'll be checking this one out as I like to discover new authors.

Joanna Loves Reading Thanks Julia! I hope you enjoy when you do. I think there’s something about her style overall that works for me and that’s the best sort of discovery in a new author.