Sonja P.'s Reviews > Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber

Under the Jolly Roger by L.A. Meyer

Feb 25, 2012

liked it
Read from March 22 to 24, 2012

So, I'm a huge fan of this series. I think these books are so entertaining. Its really great to see a story where the male is usually the hero, and see a girl take that place instead. That's part of what I love about Jacky Faber. Usually the sea and pirates are the domain of male protagonists, but Faber makes her own way here, and I can't say enough how much I love that. There's something fantastic about the fact that she takes a typically male-dominated sphere and manages to have her own adventures. What I loved in this one is that she didn't have to hide her gender, and she had to slowly earn the respect of the men around her, and she did it. She fought hard, and she was clever, and she was honest, and they loved her for it.

Of course, she gets in trouble, and she sometimes doesn't make wise decisions, but the fact that she accomplishes so much is amazing. Not to mention, the series is just entertaining. Its fun and action-packed, and perfect for a light read. I would definitely recommend this series, especially to younger female readers who want to see themselves in a story like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Jolly Roger.

03/22/2012 page 200