Charlie's Reviews > Coming Home

Coming Home by Patricia Wilson

** spoiler alert ** If you can get past the slight ickyness that the H is in fact her deceased fathers step brother then this is actually a rather lovely story.

The h has lost her job, is about to have her house demolishes and is rather poorly to boot when she gets an offer to stay with her "uncle" until she is ready to go to Uni in September. Shes put it off for a couple of years because her parents were terrible and the money they left her when they dies could only be spent in the pursuit of an academic degree. Figuring her parents were pretty terrible anyway she tells the executor to go poke it and strikes out n her own for a while until she decides what she wants to do.

With nowhere else really to go without inflicting herself on her friends she takes up uncle not uncles offer and moves to Cornwall with all her not that many worldly goods. She hasn't seem him since she was 13 at his wedding to an evil OW and he scared her because he is a black Cornish (imagine Poldark/Celt)

Turns out wifey was evil but is conveniently dead but she did not leave a good impression on our grumpy H who has a kind of secret son who he hides away because he doesn't want him upsetting because he doesn't look like him. All Trevelans are dark of hair just like Baratheons are while baby daddy/Evil OW was a Lannister and golden haired. His (and her dads parents and her parents marriage) were also pretty crap reinforcing his opinion.

Our intrepid h likes to stick her foot in it though and doesn't care if she upsets his applecart. His son isn't happy at boarding school and she rather likes him. stuff opinion and het him home where he will be happy. She also gets to visit a rather naff miniature village located in Cornwall that I also had to suffer as a child but she and H son clearly had far more fun there than I did and weren't bored to tears. Well done PW for adding real Cornwall in there!

Our h has to head up to London for her bezzies wedding and the H sees her with her ex boyfriend and gets a serious monk on with jealousy. After some suitable angst h runs away and when H finds her he is so relieved he becomes sick of hiding his attraction and they jump into bed with each other.

h is happy but thinking he doesn't love her immediately leaves. However, she realises within 10 mins she hurt him and goes back and declares her love. This h is pretty feisty she has a spine and goes for what she wants without worrying what others think. The H is also pretty nice once he pulls his head out of his butt and all his attitude hides a heart of gold.

There is a lovely little epilogue with the h expecting her first dark of hair child and still causing all kinds of hell for the besotted H.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coming Home.

May 30, 2019 – Started Reading
May 30, 2019 – Shelved
May 30, 2019 –
page 75
39.06% "Omg the author describes a miniature world in Cornwall. I went there as a kid and hated it it was so boring! Kudos to PW for knowing her tourist spots"
May 30, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: set-in-uk
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: traumatic-pasts
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: vintage-mills-boon-harelequin
May 31, 2019 – Shelved as: widower

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by boogenhagen (new)

boogenhagen Such a great book, such a brilliant review!

I adore PW :P

Charlie boogenhagen wrote: "Such a great book, such a brilliant review!

I adore PW :P"

I really enjoyed this one PW is underrated

StMargarets I'll have to hunt this one down. I really like this author. Great review!

Charlie StMargarets wrote: "I'll have to hunt this one down. I really like this author. Great review!"
Hope I don't let you down but I rather liked it :)