Kelly's Reviews > The Escape Manual for Introverts

The Escape Manual for Introverts by Katie Vaz

liked it
bookshelves: comics, read-in-2019, reviewed

When in doubt, blame your doggo.

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through edelweiss.)

So maybe you're an introvert or maybe you have social anxiety, or maybe you struggle with both, like me (yay! not.). Either way, Katie Vaz has got your back. The Escape Manual for Introverts is a tongue-in-cheek-but-not-really compendium of excuses you can use to wiggle out of all manner of social situations. Vaz's guide runs the gamut, from the mundane ("I have plans/something on the stove/mono!") to the creative (suggesting unpopular activities) to the truly absurd (arrange your own kidnapping; invest in a jet pack).

As a card-carrying Animal Person, I can attest that I've tried all of the pet-related excuses, with increasing levels of success as my furkids age and require more intensive levels of care. It may seem crass to fall back on my dog's dementia and seizures this way, but hey, I figure that both Finnick and I have earned it.

The Escape Manual for Introverts is humorous but also not: if you can't laugh at yourself [insert punchline here]; and yet sometimes you just want to collapse into the bottom of a dog pile and be smothered to death by fur and slobber. It's a cute enough gimmick that only goes so far.

I noticed on the about the author page that Vaz (aka Twyla from Schitt's Creek) also writes greeting cards, and I bet some of these comics might work better in that shorter, one-two punch format.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Escape Manual for Introverts.

May 29, 2019 – Started Reading