Jenny's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Feb 25, 2012

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read in March, 2012

Yes, this book was written probably before you were born. But let me just say how relevant a read it is if you enjoy the futuristic, dystopian type books the way I do. When I finally picked this up off my shelf & sat down to read it, I was immediately sucked into the life of little Ender Wiggin. As I read I could see how much Card has influenced the current science fiction genre in the YA market.

First of all, this was a very full-color read. Every world Ender is thrust into is fully mapped & fleshed out, from the playing fields of the game to the Bugger planets to the inner world of the computer game he plays periodically on his desk. Every character was given life & breathed on the pages. Card is a master at getting the psychology down right on his characters, all of which were multi-layered & most of which go through some sort of character growth throughout the book. Reading this book was like being in a simulator while the story played out in front of me because it was just so well written.

Not a word of this book was wasted. Everything has meaning & a reason to be part of the story. Ender's struggle through battle school & life in general are fascinating. They reminded me, in part, of the struggles the protagonists go through to reach strength & leadership in The Maze Runner series, The Hunger Games series, & some of the Forest of Hands & Teeth series as well.

Some might shy away from the book because it seems so sci-fi but believe me, this is not high science fiction. There aren't any technical science-y terms or complicated ideas to understand. It's the sweeping story of a little boy genius who is being groomed to win a war full of imaginative battle strategies & interesting people to get to know. Some might also shy away from it because it was written in the 1980s. The writing is not stilted or strange. If you were never told the publication date you could swear it was a contemporary book.

That said, there were a couple things that I wasn't too fond of about this book. The very end being one of them. I won't spoil it for anyone who may read it but I wasn't thrilled with the life decision Ender made in the final pages. I think there was also some foul language that I didn't feel needed to be in the book though it was funny to read the slang the boys in battle school had come up with -- very Maze Runner!

Over all, I was hooked. It's a very important read for anyone who loves the genre the way I do & wants to see some of the landscape that inspired what we read today. Orson Scott Card is a masterful. I'm looking forward to reading the next Ender book. And thankfully, unlike a new release I love, I can just go to the library & pick up the next one TODAY!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

Rachel Fisher Sci fi royalty