Rebecca's Reviews > Curtain

Feb 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mystery
Read in February, 2012

Poirot's first case in England occurred at Styles Manor, which is where he met his faithful friend and companion for many an investigation, Captain Hastings. Now at the end of his life, crippled with arthritis and suffering a fatal heart condition, Poirot summons Hastings for one last cast at Styles. Poirot claims that several seemingly unrelated deaths were in fact caused by one person, now at Styles, and he needs Hastings' help to bring the person to justice before he (Poirot) dies.

I'd read this before but forgot who the murderer was, so once again Christie managed to put one over on me! However, I did almost give up in the middle because Hastings' adult daughter, Judith, also at Styles, was so vastly and viciously unpleasant. She reminded me more of the world's surliest, rudest fifteen-year-old rather than the independent 21-year-old she supposedly was, so I'm afraid I didn't quite buy her as a character, and just found it unpleasant to read about her. And I deal with teenagers every day!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curtain.