Petrik's Reviews > Soulsmith

Soulsmith by Will Wight

bookshelves: owned-ebooks
Recommended for: Progression fantasy & Shonen anime fans

A great sequel that build upon the foundations laid in Unsouled.

Soulsmith is the second book in Cradle series by Will Wight. Continuing from where the previous book left off, Lindon has left the Sacred Valley in pursuit of advancement and accessibility to stronger powers. An ancient ruin has risen, and many sacred artists—Lindon included—gathers and they fight for the treasures inside. As I’ve mentioned in my review of Unsouled, it seems very likely that each sequel in this series will better than their respective previous installments, and Soulsmith is the first proof of that. Admittedly, I’m still not a huge fan of the main character himself, but Yerin and the new characters being introduced here—especially Eithan and Jai Long—were so entertaining to read.

“In his experience, practically anything became an adventure if framed properly.”

Seriously, Eithan immediately became my favorite character of the series so far since his first appearance. One of the reasons this happened is that it felt to me like Wight did a terrific job in writing Eithan’s and the other supporting characters—both from protagonist and antagonists side—internalizations, especially when it’s compared to Lindon. There aren’t any mysteries surrounding Lindon’s character, and there seemed to be no complexity in his motivations; his development throughout the series so far has been constricted to only getting stronger. Meanwhile, Eithan, Jai Long, and Yerin brought conflicts, complexities, and tensions that the series needs, and I’m happy for it. Remember, this is a great feat by Wight, especially after considering that these characters are so much more powerful than the main character himself. Plus, the inclusion of the terrifying Arelius Family and The Blackflame Empire also made the series more engaging.

“That’s the nature of any acquired skill. It will feel like breathing through a wet rag for a while, and your body will tell you to stop. But one day, you’ll look back and wonder how it was ever difficult.”

Although I have said for two reviews now that I’m not a fan of Lindon, I still have to admit that I loved his rigorous training section. No pain no gain, we’ve heard of this before; this has been what Lindon continuously faced in his path towards stronger power, and I admire his tenacity. Lindon’s determination is iron-strong, and despite being regularly surrounded by Sacred Artists who are much stronger than him, he survived—luck is involved but still—and he never gives up. Lindon continuously undergoes rigorous training to advance to the next level of strength; I love this, Wight never stop emphasizing the importance of hard work, perspectives, and knowledge, maybe even more important than natural talent at times.

“These two weeks had been the worst in Lindon’s life, but half a month of agony was nothing compared to a lifetime of helplessness.”

My reviews for the series so far have been relatively shorter than my usual reviews, but I think people who’ve read this series will understand just how painful it is to stop reading and write these reviews. I’m honestly halfway through Blackflame already as I typed this review, I can assure you that the overall quality of the series has improved significantly and it gets so much addictive to read. Wight progressed the series as good as he progressed Lindon’s advancement; Soulsmith expanded the world-building, characterizations, and magic system of the series introduced in Unsouled and at the same time includes new characters and dangers that sets the stage incredibly well for Blackflame.

“Sacred artists. Without risk, without battle, without a willingness to fight, you will stay weak. And weakness means death.”

You can order the book from: Book Depository (Free shipping)

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Special thanks to my Patrons on Patreon for giving me extra support towards my passion for reading and reviewing!

My Patrons: Mike, Hamad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulsmith.

May 30, 2019 – Shelved
January 1, 2020 – Started Reading
January 2, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Terin Hehe... I got the notification that you liked my review of soul's it had, and I knew that you would have put up a review of the same... Eithan is the best character in my opinion, Lindon is okay okay... But the different magic systems in the book and the cosmere like overall story is what kept me interested...

Petrik Terin wrote: "Hehe... I got the notification that you liked my review of soul's it had, and I knew that you would have put up a review of the same... Eithan is the best character in my opinion, Lindon is okay ok..."

Haha you know me! And you're damn right, I think he's the best character of the series so far! I'm also starting to feel addicted to this series now... xD

Terin Petrik wrote: "Terin wrote: "Hehe... I got the notification that you liked my review of soul's it had, and I knew that you would have put up a review of the same... Eithan is the best character in my opinion, Lin..."

Hehe... I told you it would be good... Never doubt my recommendations in the future... Haha... Glad to see that you like it... As I said I stopped reading after skysworn... You should also admire the fact that these books are self published and the author puts out books almost as fast as Sanderson... That gets a lot of respect from me...

Once you're done with the books in this series-which I think will happen in a couple of days from the rate at which you're reading- check out his other series Travelers gate... Suffers from poor characterisation and is little lower quality when compared to Cradle, but the story and world building is kick-start. Worth reading. It is also a part of the shared universe (different iteration).

Rinaldo I agree in general it's the supporting cast that makes the interactions interesting. I can't wait until you meet a special character from Ghostwater.

And as I understand you've read at least up to Blackflame: The Dragon binges!

Andrew Great review, Petrik. Like you, my favorite character is Eithan. But my favorite thing about this series is the world building. The characters, creatures, magic system, and the vocabulary are all amazing. Everything just keeps building on itself and expanding.

Petrik Rinaldo wrote: "I agree in general it's the supporting cast that makes the interactions interesting. I can't wait until you meet a special character from Ghostwater.

And as I understand you've read at least up to..."

Yeah, the supporting characters are really the highlight of the cast so far! Also... The dragon advances. The dragon destroys. The dragon conquers! Utterly badass!

Petrik Andrew wrote: "Great review, Petrik. Like you, my favorite character is Eithan. But my favorite thing about this series is the world building. The characters, creatures, magic system, and the vocabulary are all a..."

Thank you, Andrew! Yeah, Eithan just stole the spotlight! As you said, I love how everything continuously expand throughout the series. I just finished Blackflame and I'm curious where the series will go from here! :)

message 8: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey Now I want to read this saga 😢why my tbr is so big...
Great review Petrik 2020 begin strongly for you with those books.

Petrik Audrey wrote: "Now I want to read this saga 😢why my tbr is so big...
Great review Petrik 2020 begin strongly for you with those books."

The gifts and curses of owning a HUGE TBR! xD
Thank you, Audrey! It's really a fun series, I just finished the third book too, and will be diving into the fourth book soon! :)

message 10: by Audrey (new) - added it

Audrey Petrik wrote: "Audrey wrote: "Now I want to read this saga 😢why my tbr is so big...
Great review Petrik 2020 begin strongly for you with those books."

The gifts and curses of owning a HUGE TBR! xD
Thank you, Aud..."

Will wight is definitely an author I’m going to read this year and thanks again to you.

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe I have the first three Cradle books on my Kindle that I'll now be getting to sooner thanks to your thumbs up! Note that I said sooner and not soon, though. My TBR is threatening to collapse on my head.

Petrik Joe wrote: "I have the first three Cradle books on my Kindle that I'll now be getting to sooner thanks to your thumbs up! Note that I said sooner and not soon, though. My TBR is threatening to collapse on my h..."

Hahaha I totally understand that, Joe! I'll try to read Battle Mage as soon as I can too per your recommendation, I'm saving it the time I feel like I'm tackling a standalone reads! Definitely within this year though! :)

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis Great, review. Never heard of this story/series before

Petrik Travis wrote: "Great, review. Never heard of this story/series before"

Thanks, Travis! It's so entertaining, I think you'll enjoy it! :)

message 15: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan Travis wrote: "Great, review. Never heard of this story/series before"

What?? You need to address this ASAP!

message 16: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan Great review, my friend! I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that you'll enjoy the next books even more.

#teameithan

Petrik TS wrote: "Great review, my friend! I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed that you'll enjoy the next books even more.

#teameithan"

Thank you, my friend! Wait, there's a team? What team? I'll most likely be in #TeamEithan though!