Heather's Reviews > Faery Tales & Nightmares

Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr

Feb 25, 2012

Read from July 16 to 23, 2017 , read count: 2

I just read this for a second time. I did so because I finally read the Wicked Lovely series. Overall, it was very good. And I absolutely LOVED all five of the WL stories in this book. If they were the only stories in this, I'd have given it five stars. A couple of the other stories weren't to my liking. All are well-written, though.

One minor complaint about the WL stories is "Old Habits" is right before "Stopping Time," but they actually happen in the reverse order. I think they'd have read better if they were in the proper order.

I loved knowing what happened with Rabbit and Seth (separately) after WL is ended.

-----------------------

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I decided to read this because I loved Enthralled and remembered that Melissa Marr had a story in it. I must mention that her story from that book is also in this, and I enjoyed reading it a second time. I think that was in part because it’s the last story in the book and I have read about many of the mentioned characters before rereading it. Quick thoughts on some of the stories.

Where Nightmares Walk ~ This one kinda confused me. I meant to read it a second time once I finished the book, but forgot.

Transition ~ This was very interesting. It’s about vampires. More specifically, how a vampire goes about getting rid of his “sire.” Well-done story.

Love Struck ~ I think this was my favorite. It’s about selchies, and has a lot of heart and intrigue. I’d love to see more come of this.

Old Habits ~ From the Wicked Lovely world, I loved it. It definitely made me want to read WL.

The Sleeping Girl and the Summer King ~ It was beautiful. Apparently it’s the short story that led to WL.

Unexpected Family ~ I believe the character’s name is Seth. From the WL books. Human-turned-faery? Anyway, it was really cool.

Merely Mortal ~ This is the one from Enthralled. I liked it more this time around than I think I did when I read Enthralled.

I enjoyed all of the stories, except maybe the one that confused me. For the most part, I found the characters very interesting. I haven’t read Wicked Lovely, but am thinking I need to now. I want to know what happened with these characters and I want to fully delve into Marr’s world. She’s an excellent writer, and I’m looking forward to reading more of her work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faery Tales & Nightmares.

02/25 page 1
07/16 marked as: currently-reading
07/16 page 1
0.0% "Now that I've read the "Wicked Lovely" series, it's time to read this again. I'm quite excited!"
07/21 page 213
50.0% "Absolutely love "Old Habits"! Awesome story. I kinda wish I'd read it after "Ink Exchange" - it explains so much."
07/23 marked as: read