Carrie's Reviews > What the Lady Wants

What the Lady Wants by Jennifer Crusie

Feb 25, 2012

bookshelves: own, contemporary, humorous, pi-security-service, read-2012
Read from April 04 to 05, 2012

This book has some of the funniest dialogue I've read in ages. It's a sometimes campy, farcical romp and can't be taken seriously, but as a romantic comedy, it shines. I loved Mitch, I loved Mae, I loved the whole cast of characters, including the dumb-as-a-rock dog, Bob. But mostly, I loved the interactions with Mitch and Mae. I just had to smile as a slightly bemused Mitch watches his footloose single days slip away.

There is one dialogue around page 73, 74...somewhere in there (I don't have the book with me)...where Mitch tries to explain to Mae the difference between men and women, especially why men can't commit and women do. Those three or four pages are worth the price of admission. I even read them aloud to my husband.

Highly recommended for anyone who needs a few hours of well written romance and comedy to take the edge off a tough week.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Lady Wants.

Hannah It's strange how the same passage can strike people so differently. That conversation on the differences between men and women made me absolutely furious, even while I knew it was meant to be humorous.

message 2: by Carrie (last edited Apr 27, 2012 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carrie Hannah wrote: "It's strange how the same passage can strike people so differently. That conversation on the differences between men and women made me absolutely furious, even while I knew it was meant to be humo..."

Well, the conversation is illustrative. I don't agree with him, just found the whole thing hysterical. Crusie likes to point out the problems and faults in people in humorous ways. She makes you laugh while delving into some surprisingly serious relational topics. That's why her books are edgy. They are light with a bite.

Hannah In general I completely agree. But in this book, Crusie didn't actually explore that theme. She just lets Mitch's theories float there without commentary. He never withdraws those views, either. He never tells Mae, "Hey, by the way, I was wrong. Your boobs are totally enough for me." They needed to have that conversation to give the reader resolution. Otherwise, I'm stuck here thinking "Well, how long is this going to last until he has to go start 'laying pipeline' elsewhere?"

Carrie Hannah wrote: "In general I completely agree. But in this book, Crusie didn't actually explore that theme. She just lets Mitch's theories float there without commentary. He never withdraws those views, either...."

I felt he definitely made that commitment at the end. he states it pretty emphatically. He decided to stay East. ;-)

Hannah I may be over-sensitive on the subject of West-bound husbands.

Carrie :-/ Could be.