Susan's Reviews > Stolen into Slavery: The True Story of Solomon Northup, Free Black Man

Stolen into Slavery by Judith Bloom Fradin

Feb 25, 2012

bookshelves: primary, non-fiction
Read in February, 2012

I stumbled across this true story in a school book order form. When I ordered it I really had no expectations. I have trouble finding my fifth and sixth grade students nonfiction books that they really like. This one will be a hit. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Solomon Northup, a free slave in the north, who was stolen and sold into slavery in the south. The story resounded as vvery believable. I in particular liked that mention was made that a lot of southerners believed in treating their slaves well. The court system which tied to bring the kidnappers to trial were their own prisoner of the laws of the time. Even though Solomon had written a popular book about his experiences, he could not testify in a court of law. Therefore the kidnappers went free. It bothers me that several years after once being freed Solomon disappeared and leaves open to speculation as to exactly what could have happened to him. I had students lined up waiting for me to make this book available to them. I know they will learn a lot from it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen into Slavery.