Melissa's Reviews > Recipe for a Perfect Wife

Recipe for a Perfect Wife by Karma Brown

I have been a fan of Karma Brown, ever since I was blown away by Come Away with Me. Her novels are powerful and thought-provoking. Recipe for a Perfect Wife has a different feel from her previous novels, as it is a dual narrative shifting between the 1950's and the present.

Both Alice and Nellie were interesting and sympathetic characters whom I cared about the entire way through the story. I couldn't put the book down because I just had to know what would happen for both of them. Their lives paralleled each other in some ways. Karma's descriptions took me back in time during the 1950's scenes. Everything was easy to visualize in both time periods without having to be overly descriptive. While I didn't like one of the choices Nellie made for herself, I understood why she did it, as well as why Alice made certain choices in her life.

This story speaks volumes about women's roles in marriage both in the past and present. It is a great story that will have readers captivated throughout.

Movie casting suggestions:
Alice: Alison Scagliotti
Nate: Brett Dier
Nellie: Chloë Grace Moretz
Richard: Alan Ritchson
Kitty: Sarah Dugdale
Sally: Jane Alexander
Miriam: Melissa Leo

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recipe for a Perfect Wife.

May 29, 2019 – Shelved
May 29, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
September 20, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
September 20, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
October 12, 2019 – Started Reading
October 15, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Kristi (new) - added it

Kristi Ferree I can’t wait to read this one!

message 2: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Kristi wrote: "I can’t wait to read this one!"

Enjoy!

message 3: by Lloyd (new) - added it

Lloyd Russell I am there!

message 4: by Jane (new) - added it

Jane Trying for this one on here. Closes tonight! Cross your fingers.

message 5: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "I am there!"

I know you are. ;)

message 6: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Jane wrote: "Trying for this one on here. Closes tonight! Cross your fingers."

Good luck!

message 7: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Sounds great. Thanks for the review.

message 8: by Dianne (new) - added it

Dianne Casey Sounds like a book I would really enjoy reading.

message 9: by Sally (new)

Sally Makes me want to read this one. I especially like the dual narratives.

message 10: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Nancy wrote: "Sounds great. Thanks for the review."

You're welcome!

message 11: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie I've been wanting to read this book for awhile. From your review, I like how you mentioned that it's a dual narrative with a look at women's role in marriage from two different time period but they parallel each other in some ways.

message 12: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa Bonnie wrote: "I've been wanting to read this book for awhile. From your review, I like how you mentioned that it's a dual narrative with a look at women's role in marriage from two different time period but they..."

Thank you.

message 13: by susieqlaw (new) - added it

susieqlaw Great review! I have this book on my TBR list.