C.G. Drews's Reviews > Unashamed: A Coming-Out Guide for LGBTQ Christians

Unashamed by Amber Cantorna

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-2019

I feel like this was intended to be a warm hug to Christian LGBTQ people and I definitely think it got that message across. I've never read a book like this and I very much wanted to. And it was so full of heart, I really ached and teared up on multiple pages. I especially found it empowering that the author didn't have a sparkly-easy-coming-out-story to her family. She's basically cut off completely from them and she can still talk about her love of God, the church, and encourage other gays.

basic things to know about the book:
- it first and foremost is about encouragement, it's about reaffirming you are loved and valued by God (and there's no "despite of being gay" or "love the sinner and not the sin" -- those phrases are smacked down)
- it does have plenty of suggestions and steps for how to come out safely in a christian (usually conservative) community who will most likely be unreceptive to you
- it does stress the importance of your safety first, especially for teens (i did actually think this was aimed at teens, but it's not specified to that age group)
- lots of discussion about living your authentic and true life and dismantling of inner-shame

I am disappointed that it didn't spend time on talking about those damning verses in the bible about being gay (it's mistranslated yo and she only briefly notes that). It gives resources to go find books that do go deeper into discussing the theology and the cultural/mistranslations of the bible. However I think it really should have discussed that here too? At least briefly. Honestly I wanted more depth in the book, all over. And it has to be said that it does come from a privileged angle and would be most helpful to people who have resources to be self-sufficient (if their family cuts them off) and has a community. If you're christian lgbtqia+ without a community while reading this, the book would probably leave you feeling still very lost.

I am really glad I read this! I wanted it to be deeper, but like w o w it was emotional to read quite a lot and inclusive and important.

You don't have to change anything about your LGBTQ identity in order to be acceptable to God. You are beautiful and fully loved by God exactly as you are. Own that and ground yourself in it deep in your soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unashamed.

May 28, 2019 – Started Reading
May 28, 2019 – Shelved
May 29, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
May 29, 2019 – Shelved as: non-fiction
May 29, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Silva If you want to go deeper, I recommend God and the Gay Christian. I hear Bible, Gender, Sexuality by James V. Brownson is even more in-depth.