Barbara Sousa's Reviews > A Patchwork of Clues

A Patchwork of Clues by Sally Goldenbaum

liked it

A Patchwork of Clues is a light, entertaining cozy mystery. It is the first book in Sally Goldenbaum’s “Queen Bees Quit Shop” mystery series, and a promising one at that. Po Paltrow, a 60-something widow, is the main viewpoint character. She along with her group of quilters find themselves with a mystery to solve when a beloved college professor is murdered. Goldenbaum does a good job of providing clues and red herrings, and, although I had settled on the culprit early on in the book, the various tangents made me think twice. As with most cozy mysteries, A Patchwork of Clues has a very “down home” vibe, and it is fun meeting and getting to know the town and its inhabitants. The title, too, seems apt as Po and her large group of friends have to work to “patch” together the solution to their friend’s murder.

Although the murder occurs in the first chapter, the mystery doesn’t really get going until halfway through the novel. An inordinate amount of time is devoted to backstory, which, though interesting, detracts from the urgency of the mystery itself. Po, for her part, is an engaging character, and one I’d like to see again. The other quilters (I believe there were seven others) seemed to overwhelm this novel. Although they represented various ages and occupations, there was little real differentiation between them, and I felt like I needed a scorecard to keep up. The novel (and any future novels) would be better served by concentrating on three or four of the quilters and letting the others fade into the background. That said, A Patchwork of Clues was an enjoyable read, and the series has lots of potential.

Note: I received an ARC of A Patchwork of Clues from NetGalley and Kensington Books/Lyrical Underground. The above is my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Patchwork of Clues.

May 28, 2019 – Started Reading