Shannon Miller's Reviews > Just Kids

7919551
Feb 25, 2012

liked it
Read from February 25 to April 13, 2012

I liked the first third of this book the best. Patti describes her and Robert's young lives and struggles with great detail, including a scene about a William Blake book I will not forget. After that, especially when they begin living at the Chelsea Hotel, the book becomes connected by scenes of meeting various famous people. The name-pooping begins and never ceases. At every corner she's having some quirky encounter with Salvador Dali, Allen Ginsberg, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, William Burroughs, etc. We lose sight of her relationship with Robert, and the realness and complexity of their lives. It becomes more of a factual retelling of Patti's rise to fame and how great she is. I almost didn't want to finish. The last 15 pages or so get emotionally compelling again, although there was sudden 10-year gap, just before the story jumps to Robert's fight with AIDS and his death. I'm glad I read it and finished it. I did learn a lot about that era. Of course, I like any account of a circle of great artists living the artist's life. It was inspiring at times, and I'm glad for that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Kids.

04/06/2012 page 117