Heather Novak's Reviews > How to Stay

How to Stay by Christina  Mitchell

This book was an experience!

A cross between Mariana Zapata and RS Grey, this book is everything I wanted it to be and more.

I didn’t know what to expect—all I knew was my friends told me to read this book. So I grabbed a copy and naively opened it while dinner was in the oven.

“I’ll just read a few pages!” I said. “I can pick it back up later!” I said. All lies.

I burned dinner and then promptly disappeared from the world until this book was finished. I usually don’t love angsty characters, but this book didn’t care. It was going to make me love it anyway.

Every character is beautifully flawed in a way that makes them human. Mitchell’s poetic voice and richly painted world takes this book from an ordinary indie debut to an extraordinary work of art. My heart broke and then each character grabbed a shard and wouldn’t give it back (oh dear, I’m turning poetic.)

Mitchell is a master at interlacing snark and feelings, of riding the wave of emotions just until the breaking point and then pulling you back. The sexual tension was so well crafted, I had to turn on a fan. I laughed, I swooned, I even cried.

This book was not just a story, but an experience. I have been changed. Do yourself a favor and read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Stay.

May 28, 2019 – Started Reading