Harrison Wein's Reviews > The Monk

The Monk by Matthew Lewis

I'd read about how influential The Monk was and was curious to read it myself. It was scandalous in its day, and Lewis was forced to put out a censored version. According to the introduction, there were actually four different versions released over the years. This is really one of the most outrageous books I've ever read. That's an amazing thing to say about something that came out in 1796.

It's best not to know too much about the plot before coming into this. It's a classic Gothic novel, with crazy atmospherics and convoluted stories within stories. The central plot is about the corruption of a celibate monk by evil forces. Along the way, there are ghosts, a cross-dressing monk, seriously evil nuns, and more. I found myself laughing at how outrageous it all was and thoroughly enjoying every minute.

If you're a devout person, you'll likely find this book offensive. The characters are also not exactly fully fleshed out. But it's a fun, quick, and easy read. If you're looking for a classic that pushes the boundaries, this is about as good as you can get.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monk.

Started Reading