Marissa Baker's Reviews > A Reluctant Bride

A Reluctant Bride by Jody Hedlund

Jody Hedlund and Francine Rivers are the writers who got me back into Christian fiction after taking a break from the genre for several years. Like Jody's other books I've read, A Reluctant Bride is well-researched, well-written historical fiction with a beautiful story of faith and romance at its heart.

First in the new Bride Ships series, this novel is set in the Victorian era and follows the story of Mercy Wilkins. Mercy -- a compassionate, selfless young woman who grew up in one of the poorest areas of London -- follows her sister's advice to immigrate to Vancouver with a group promising honest jobs for young women. It's only after she's on board the ship that she learns the women on board will be offered jobs only temporarily. This is a bride ship, and those traveling on-board will be expected to marry once they arrive -- something Mercy has no intention of ever doing.

As one would expect from this type of story, there's a man on board this ship with the potential to change Mercy's mind. Lord Joseph Colville is heir to one of the noble families of England. Since the death of his parents and brother, he's been delegating his political and social responsibilities to his aunt and focusing on his passion for medicine. He's the doctor aboard the bride ship and fully intends to continue traveling for a few more years before settling down. But when Mercy becomes his assistant, they both start thinking that maybe marriage wouldn't be so bad. Unfortunately, he's supposed to marry someone from his station and she's supposed to marry one of the men waiting in British Columbia.

I'll not spoil anything about the ending for you, since I hope you'll decide to read this for yourselves. But I will say I loved the characters. The faith elements weave through the story naturally and the plot kept me turning pages eager to see how events played out. I definitely recommend this book for fans of sweet, historical romance.

My thanks to Bethany House publishing, Jody Hedlund, and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reluctant Bride.

Finished Reading