Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)'s Reviews > Southern Sass and Killer Cravings

Southern Sass and Killer Cravings by Kate   Young

Southern Sass & Killer Cravings is what I would call a grittier cozy… it touches on some tough (potentially trigger) issues and uses some saltier language than I’m used to in cozy mysteries.

Marygene’s family is a bit of a hot mess, not the least of which is her recently-departed Mama who pops in and out to help Marygene and try to make amends for their less than stellar relationship. Yet – Mama included – they stick together when one of their own needs help and in this case both Marygene and her sister Jena Lynn need a passel of it.

The bodies keep piling up, and the plot kept me guessing until the whodunnit (and why) reveal. It’s a case with lots of twists and turns and plausible suspects – a town full of people who seem trustworthy but still may have had solid motive to kill. Marygene isn’t sure who she can trust & neither was I. Add to that, a couple of potential love interests (which Marygene approaches cautiously and slowly, given that she still has literal bruises from her ex) and readers are kept busy trying to decide who needs a purse whomping from Mama.

Bottom Line: Full of quirky small town southern charm and mouthwatering recipes, Southern Sass & Killer Cravings is an edgy cozy with a heroine who will draw readers’ sympathy for her struggles and admiration for her will to overcome them. The crude language and frequent cursing may turn away some typical cozy readers, but the bones of the story, the characters, the humor, and the well-crafted plot are enjoyable if you get past the language choices. I also appreciated the author’s thoughtful and candid portrayal of domestic abuse survivors and the subsequent hope and courage she offers to readers in similar situations.

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book)

first seen at Reading Is My SuperPower

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Southern Sass and Killer Cravings.

May 28, 2019 – Started Reading